• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

role of none parent in custody battle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new at this

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am the finance.

A few years ago finance had custody of his daughter. Due to several reasons he felt he was not providing for her as well as he should and allowed the grandmother, (mom’s mother) take custody. The mom is still involved in the kids life but has never should interest in custody.

Now that he has made the correct changes to his life to be able to care for his daughter he is seeking custody back. He has brought this up to the grandmother and she was open to giving custody back with out having to have a custody battle, now for no apparent reason she has mentioned wanting to pull some of his visitation as lately he has been getting his daughter more than the original visitation agreement.

I have the personality that I normally take control and try to fix everything, but I have been trying to hold back on this issue. I have told him that what ever he wanted to do I would be behind him but feel I should be doing something more to help him get custody. We will be married in October and he has mentioned that he may wait until after we are married to file for custody because he thinks it would be easier after we were married.

How involved should I be in the custody battle?
What if anything can I do to help him?
Will it make any difference in him waiting to file for custody until after we are married?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am the finance.

A few years ago finance had custody of his daughter. Due to several reasons he felt he was not providing for her as well as he should and allowed the grandmother, (mom’s mother) take custody. The mom is still involved in the kids life but has never should interest in custody.

Now that he has made the correct changes to his life to be able to care for his daughter he is seeking custody back. He has brought this up to the grandmother and she was open to giving custody back with out having to have a custody battle, now for no apparent reason she has mentioned wanting to pull some of his visitation as lately he has been getting his daughter more than the original visitation agreement.

I have the personality that I normally take control and try to fix everything, but I have been trying to hold back on this issue. I have told him that what ever he wanted to do I would be behind him but feel I should be doing something more to help him get custody. We will be married in October and he has mentioned that he may wait until after we are married to file for custody because he thinks it would be easier after we were married.

How involved should I be in the custody battle?
What if anything can I do to help him?
Will it make any difference in him waiting to file for custody until after we are married?
You should not be involved in the custody battle AT ALL.
You can provide him moral support behind the scenes.
Your marriage will make absolutely no difference at all.

If grandma has actual custody, rather than guardianship, and has had custody for several years, then it may not be as easy as he thinks to regain custody. He does have the edge, since he is a parent with constitutional rights, but it may not be as easy as he thinks.

Proserpina

You should not be involved in the custody battle AT ALL.
You can provide him moral support behind the scenes.
Your marriage will make absolutely no difference at all.

If grandma has actual custody, rather than guardianship, and has had custody for several years, then it may not be as easy as he thinks to regain custody. He does have the edge, since he is a parent with constitutional rights, but it may not be as easy as he thinks.
Ditto....and OP? a pet peeve (but a friendly one).

I know sometimes relationships end up being about money... but still. It's fiance/e. Not finance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">