• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School attendance issues & custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

osmosis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

(I am the NCP)

I found out this weekend that due to excessive school absences and tardies, our daughter has been threatened by the principal with an in school suspension should she miss any more school. Upon reviewing her most recent report card, her grades are steadily dropping from straight A's to C's, due to the absences and lack of (custodial) parental involvement.

Q. Can excessive school absences, excessive tardies and falling grades make a difference in a custody dispute?

Just Blue

(I am the NCP)

I found out this weekend that due to excessive school absences and tardies, our daughter has been threatened by the principal with an in school suspension should she miss any more school. Upon reviewing her most recent report card, her grades are steadily dropping from straight A's to C's, due to the absences and lack of (custodial) parental involvement.

Q. Can excessive school absences, excessive tardies and falling grades make a difference in a custody dispute?
Yes. Educational Neglect is grounds for a change of custody.

Good luck...We're rooten for ya!!

Isis1

(I am the NCP)

what conversations did you have with mom about this? what do you plan to do together as parents to help your child? tutoring? helping child with supplies?

osmosis

what conversations did you have with mom about this? what do you plan to do together as parents to help your child? tutoring? helping child with supplies?
there is an injunction for protection between myself and my ex, so communication is not only difficult, but illegal. that makes the court-ordered "shared parental responsibility" extremely difficult!

i currently live 2 hours from the children, and only find out about these kinds of things when the children come for visits. the school itself doesn't keep me informed. i have a "back pack check" when the kids come over so that i can see how they're doing and make certain that they don't have weekend homework that needs to be done. in doing so this weekend i not only found the attendance warning from the principal (dated march 31st), but also found the report card from february.

of course, upon checking my son's backpack, i have found letters home from the teachers from months ago that mom either never saw or didn't care to address, in addition to homework from the past 2 weeks that he never started. that is kind of a bell ringer IMHO that mom isn't paying attention.

i am the one who provides school supplies and such, but that is beside the point. the grades are falling because (according to 12 y/o daughter) her mom keeps oversleeping and not driving daughter to school in time. sometimes they show up late, sometimes she just keeps her home, since the school is a half hour away from where they reside. it's also due to mom being so busy with her own life that she doesn't make the effort to ensure their homework is done or that they're given the assistance they need with their work.

Isis1

Read the history. Mom is NOT a good co-parent.
my point is, co-parenting doesn't stop. even with custody he will STILL have to communicate with mom in regards to this. whether he has custody, or mom does.

i deal with a bad co-parent as well, but it doesn't mean i stop communicating. i still need to let other parent in on what my plans are. what they do with that information, that help, that extra push or attention, is on them.

osmosis

my point is, co-parenting doesn't stop. even with custody he will STILL have to communicate with mom in regards to this. whether he has custody, or mom does.
i absolutely agree, but like i said, the injunction prevents communication. my daughter is the one who calls me when there is an issue with visitation (i.e. birthday party invitation for my weekend, etc.)

i hate that part.

osmosis

Ok whew!! :) Good luck and know that many of us are pulling for you :) Pls keep us updated.

When do you go to court??
no date has been set yet, but i have an appt. friday with the clerk's office to find out about pushing this motion. as soon as i find out when i will let you all know.

i really appreciate all the help i've gotten here over the last few years. :D thank you all!

i will definitely keep you informed. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i absolutely agree, but like i said, the injunction prevents communication. my daughter is the one who calls me when there is an issue with visitation (i.e. birthday party invitation for my weekend, etc.)

i hate that part.
You NEED to start corresponding with the school weekly. Directly. What has stopped you from doing that?

Just Blue

i deal with a bad co-parent as well, but it doesn't mean i stop communicating. i still need to let other parent in on what my plans are. what they do with that information, that help, that extra push or attention, is on them.
It's hard to communicate when there is a Ro against you...That is why I told you to read the Hx.

BTW: The RO should NEVER have been approved. Per MOM's postings on here is is BOGUS!

osmosis

You NEED to start corresponding with the school weekly. Directly. What has stopped you from doing that?
to be honest, the last school they were in kept me updated. i incorrectly assumed these schools would do the same.

now that i know they won't, i will be in constant contact with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">