• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

schools responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state? vt..I recently found out I am not on my son's school registration form, I am not on as an emergency contact, his father is listed as his "father" and his stepmother has listed herself as guardian. On the emergency form sent in my ex's wife signed it and only listed my ex, herself, her mother, her sister as emergency contact, I am not even listed. When contacting the school about this at first they told me I had to produce evidence that I was not revoked from my sons school records. I then contacted an attny and was told to demand his records. So I called the school back and demanded them. The school in turn called my ex whom has custody and said I was going to sue them. I never ever even used the word sue, only my legal rights. My ex then called me screaming at me about threatening the school. The school then called me back and said they would be mailing my son's records and IEP!! I said IEP?? My son is on an IEP? for what? They said he for the last 2 years has had cognitive delays. I was furious my ex never informed me. The most furious thing about all this is I have been calling my son's school for the last 3 years asking for his progress reports, etc, because I have never received one. Do I have the right to demand to my ex to have only his name on emergency forms, with my name after for second contact, do I also have the right to be listed on the registration forms? Also what responsibility did the school have? They do have a copy of my son's birth certificate which lists me as mom...and that is all they have. I need help in all this, since I am seeing red, and not thinking as clearly as I would like to. Plus, I want to ask the school to set up seperate meetings with me, and include me in all IEP'S. And most importantly, can I get a say in my son's education even though his dad has full legal and physical custody because of what has been going on? I also found out that mhy son's teachers call his stepmom "mom" in front of my son. In other words, when she goes to pick him up, they say, "your mom is here.' please help..... fAITH

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? vt..I recently found out I am not on my son's school registration form, I am not on as an emergency contact, his father is listed as his "father" and his stepmother has listed herself as guardian. On the emergency form sent in my ex's wife signed it and only listed my ex, herself, her mother, her sister as emergency contact, I am not even listed. When contacting the school about this at first they told me I had to produce evidence that I was not revoked from my sons school records. I then contacted an attny and was told to demand his records. So I called the school back and demanded them. The school in turn called my ex whom has custody and said I was going to sue them. I never ever even used the word sue, only my legal rights. My ex then called me screaming at me about threatening the school. The school then called me back and said they would be mailing my son's records and IEP!! I said IEP?? My son is on an IEP? for what? They said he for the last 2 years has had cognitive delays. I was furious my ex never informed me. The most furious thing about all this is I have been calling my son's school for the last 3 years asking for his progress reports, etc, because I have never received one. Do I have the right to demand to my ex to have only his name on emergency forms, with my name after for second contact, do I also have the right to be listed on the registration forms? Also what responsibility did the school have? They do have a copy of my son's birth certificate which lists me as mom...and that is all they have. I need help in all this, since I am seeing red, and not thinking as clearly as I would like to. Plus, I want to ask the school to set up seperate meetings with me, and include me in all IEP'S. And most importantly, can I get a say in my son's education even though his dad has full legal and physical custody because of what has been going on? I also found out that mhy son's teachers call his stepmom "mom" in front of my son. In other words, when she goes to pick him up, they say, "your mom is here.' please help..... fAITH
You have a right to demand the information from the school and place yourself on these forms. Stepmom is not legally allowed to list herself as guardian unless a court has given her that title. Which it most likely has not. And you relaly need to get involved with the school. You need to contact all his teachers and introduce yourself. You also need to give us more than 10 minutes to answer you before you post a second thread. For crying out loud you posted this thread at 1033 pm and I log in at 6:28 am to find a SECOND post from you about the same thing because we didn't answer quick enough? Get some patience.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OhioGal - since Dad apparently has full legal custody, does Mom have any say in the decisions regarding IEPs, etc?

Zephyr

OhioGal - since Dad apparently has full legal custody, does Mom have any say in the decisions regarding IEPs, etc?
even so, just because dad may have full decision making power does not mean it is correct to deny her being informed or her participation in the child's education (barring something I don't know about in the court order), it's just dad has final say

BL

FERPA http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

Request this of the school in writing , to The Director Of Pupil Personnel .

Also demand the other persons name is removed and yours written in on the registration form .

Send proof ( copy ) of parentage , and state you have not been barred by any Court Order for access to information ( if you have not ).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As was stated by Zephyr, mom has a right to access to everything. Doesn't matter who has full legal custody -- both parents are entitled to the same access to the school.

TinkerBelleLuvr

When they send out emergency contact cards for our schools, they ask us to list the folks who live nearby - for an EMERGENCY.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with who has the 'legal' right to be listed - just someone who can deal with the emergency. I, as the custodial parent, will have to be out of town for a few days. I have listed people, including my live-in boyfriend, who could deal with a medical emergency. Yes, the boyfriend has a medical release to be able to take her to the emergency room if needed.

Now, all the other papers list the father who lives in Michigan. I do NOT just arbitrarily take him off of papers. So, before everyone jumps to conclusions, find out if this is strictly the emergency contact card involved.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When they send out emergency contact cards for our schools, they ask us to list the folks who live nearby - for an EMERGENCY.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with who has the 'legal' right to be listed - just someone who can deal with the emergency. I, as the custodial parent, will have to be out of town for a few days. I have listed people, including my live-in boyfriend, who could deal with a medical emergency. Yes, the boyfriend has a medical release to be able to take her to the emergency room if needed.

Now, all the other papers list the father who lives in Michigan. I do NOT just arbitrarily take him off of papers. So, before everyone jumps to conclusions, find out if this is strictly the emergency contact card involved.
Sorry but dad should be listed as an emergency contact. He is the child's father and he has a right to be contacted in the case of an emergency BEFORE the bedmate of the day.

faithnlve

I have another question in regards to this situation. If in fact the the school has no record of ncp calling (and ncp did call), and their is nothing on ncp at school (name, address) due to cp not giving school this information, can the ncp petition the courts to have more say in their child's education since the cp alienated the other parent knowingly? The girlfriend now wife of ex filed herself back before they were married as guardian. I am getting copies of all this information, and want to be more involved and aware what is going on with my son in school, I cannot trust anything my ex has to say, and I cannot respect his new wife for leaving me out of my son's education this way. I completely trusted my ex before, and now i am so furious I could just spit. Faith

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Send the school a letter certified return receipt requested requesting a copy of EVERY PIECE OF PAPER in your child's file. When you get it, go through and send them the proper information -- regarding emergency contacts and what not> But keep these copies. It is your legal right to have this information. Tell them in the letter if they refuse to send it to you you will be suing them for violating your rights as a parent and violating federal law.

casa

No she does not~If Dad has Sole Legal Custody, then he is the only one legally able to make those decisions. Mom does, however, have the Right to access his school records/report cards, etc.

casa

I have another question in regards to this situation. If in fact the the school has no record of ncp calling (and ncp did call), and their is nothing on ncp at school (name, address) due to cp not giving school this information, can the ncp petition the courts to have more say in their child's education since the cp alienated the other parent knowingly? The girlfriend now wife of ex filed herself back before they were married as guardian. I am getting copies of all this information, and want to be more involved and aware what is going on with my son in school, I cannot trust anything my ex has to say, and I cannot respect his new wife for leaving me out of my son's education this way. I completely trusted my ex before, and now i am so furious I could just spit. Faith
Please explain the bolded above...If stepmom IS his Guardian, then her name goes there.

And answer the question about whether it was just the Emergency Contact card...My child's only has 3 spaces & I put 3 people closest to the school. Of course Dad's on all the Registration, Parent info., etc....even though he lives far away.

faithnlve

Please explain the bolded above...If stepmom IS his Guardian, then her name goes there.

And answer the question about whether it was just the Emergency Contact card...My child's only has 3 spaces & I put 3 people closest to the school. Of course Dad's on all the Registration, Parent info., etc....even though he lives far away.
Stepmom is NOT guardian. On the school registration form you list the names of both parents/guardian...and there is also an area for stepparents. When my son's registration was filled out by dad he had full custody. He left my name off on registration, and at the time was not yet married to his wife. He filled her name in as the other parent/guardian when she was only his girlfriend at the time. My name was excluded on all registrations, emergency contact, everything. The only thing the school had was my son's birth certificate which showed my name. My ex also never informed me my son had an IEP set up two years ago!! When I confronted him he said he was sorry it was a mistake he made and not on purpose. Yea right! faith

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">