• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking Child Support Collection Guidelines/Regulations for Louisiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EME

I am looking for the guidelines/ regulations for child support collection in Louisiana. I pay child support and would like to know what rights I have in the collection process. I will be going to court soon. I am a self-employed truck driver. My truck was damaged in a fire and it took 5 weeks to repair. I was without an income during this time and was unable to pay child support for 2 months. I promptly went to the child support case worker with copies of the repair from the repair shop. I also brought pictures showing the fire damage to the truck, etc... Even though I notified child support promptly and proved loss of income, I have been summoned to court. Surely there must be a "due process" that would have had provisions for loss of income??? I feel like I need a handbook giving the regulations concerning the collection process. Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited by EME on 11-24-2000 at 03:01 AM]

L

LadyBlu

EME said:
I am looking for the guidelines/ regulations for child support collection in Louisiana. I pay child support and would like to know what rights I have in the collection process. I will be going to court soon. I am a self-employed truck driver. My truck was damaged in a fire and it took 5 weeks to repair. I was without an income during this time and was unable to pay child support for 2 months. I promptly went to the child support case worker with copies of the repair from the repair shop. I also brought pictures showing the fire damage to the truck, etc... Even though I notified child support promptly and proved loss of income, I have been summoned to court. Surely there must be a "due process" that would have had provisions for loss of income??? I feel like I need a handbook giving the regulations concerning the collection process. Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited by EME on 11-24-2000 at 03:01 AM]
The most that would have happened if you had had a hearing immediately would have been to suspend chidl support until you were able to work again, or lower the payments temporarily. Now what will happen is you will be made to pay the arrears over a period of time along with the regular child support payments.. Present your case and circumstances to the judge or Atty Gen rep when you go to the court.. it is highly unlikely you will be thrown in jail for this.
But it should be understood that you would still be expected to pay support for that period of time.. Support of a child does not stop just because you were unable to work for a couple of months. The payments are still due..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">