• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seeking granddaughter custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ang3lwings

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?PA

There are actually two parts to my requests for advice.

The first involves the rights of law enforcement to bring assault charges against an abuser. My 23yo daughter is caught up in a domestic violence cycle, and each time she is assaulted, she ends up failing to attend the hearings, and the charges are dropped. This man never has suffered any consequences for the beatings he has given my daughter. Can I ask the police to take action? Are they required to place charges?

The second request is related to my rights as a grandparent to protect my 10month old granddaughter from being taken back to live with my daughter and the abuser. The psychological damage that is occurring to this infant is quite apparent in her lack of affect, that is, blank stares and distant expression. She recently stayed with my husband and I for three weeks when my daughter returned home, and we thought she was going to be able to break this cycle. But much to our dismay, she has returned and taken her baby with her. While the baby stayed with my husband and I,her development was miraculous. She smiled and giggled, learned to wave, gave kisses, started to vocalize, recognized simple names of toys, etc. None of these things had happened before. Her most recent visit to our home showed regression to the old "deer in the headlights" look. That was after just nine days back with her father, the abuser. Would it be possible for my husband and I to gain at least temporary custody of our granddaughter? The history of abuse is well documented with at least five hospital visits for my daughter, and three arrests for the abuser.(not to mention the numerous reports of domestic violence from neighbors in all three places that they have lived) The mother and father are not married.The abuser has a prior record of incarceration for seven years, but I do not know what the charges were.

Last edited:

snostar

Your daughter is the one who needs to take action; charges were filed and then DROPPED! Sure you can file for custody, but unless there has been noticeable abuse to the child it is unlikely you will get it. A 10month old staring does not constitute abuse.

BL

If the child is being caught between the violence & abuse,next time file an anonymous Suspected Child Abuse & Neglect report.

It is also the Mother's responsibility to protect the Child ..

It's called Tough Love ..... even if she finds out you were the reporter.

If CPS find some of the allegations to be true they will set up and plan, Parent counseling,anger management, Etc.

If the child is in true danger they may remove the child .

You probably would get first cracks at having Guardianship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">