• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sending the daughter back to the father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hawaiitenant

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
Here is my situation, my girlfriend and I are the tenants on our lease. My girlfriend is divorced and she has a 16 year old daughter who is currently living with us. Legally the father has custody of the daughter but he allowed the daughter to stay with us for a while. Let me add that it has been a nightmare since the daughter has been living with us. She has been arrested 3 times in the 5 months living here and has been skipping school and is currently failing every single class. She does not listen to the mother much less me and is basically a street punk.

What I am wondering is that now that I don't want the daughter staying with us anymore, what legal rights does the daughter have to continue living here? Can I legally have the daughter removed if she refuses to go? The mother is currently ambivalent about the whole issue and is basically fence sitting so it is up to me to take some action. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

Zephyr

If that is the course of action you want to take, I would prepare myself for the possibility of losing mom too. this girl obviously needs some serious help. what have you guys done to address these issues she's having? how did she come to live with you?

djohnson

I'm betting it's these reasons dad let her live with mom. Someone has to take control of the girl and mom needs to step up to plate or expect her life to be H*LL. The girl needs tough love. She still has the responsiblity of any NCP. I'd send her back to dad's or give her a shot to play by my rules, then I would set rules. I'd let her know off the bat she had already wore out her welcome at dad's and mom wasn't going to deal with it and the next step is state custody and she definitely wouldn't like it there.

Hawaiitenant

WANNACRY said:
If that is the course of action you want to take, I would prepare myself for the possibility of losing mom too.
Yeah, as a last resort I am considering moving out and finding a place of my own to live. Its the last thing I want to do because I know it would break the mom's heart.

djohnson said:
I'm betting it's these reasons dad let her live with mom. Someone has to take control of the girl and mom needs to step up to plate or expect her life to be H*LL.
You hit it right on the nail. The dad let her move to mom hoping that she would improve but she's gotten worse because the mom is basically a push over while the dad was not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">