• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Several question on teen pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deannab32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My 17 year old daughter is pregnant, the father is also 17 at this time but will be 18 been the baby is born. Since my daughter found out she is pregnant the boy has dumped her and is making life miserable for her as is his mother and current girlfriend. The father of the baby and his girlfriend call my daughter from blocked number and harass and threaten her. We do have taped phone conversation of these threats. He and his mother have changed phone numbers and have moved, I did have the address but have misplaced it. Currently the baby’s father has started telling my daughter through a Facebook site that he wants proof she is pregnant and she is breaking the law by not giving to him. Is this correct?

Second, what will the rights of the father’s mother be since he will 18 when the baby is born. She has stated that she wants visitation with the baby and because of statements the mother has made, my daughter is concerned the father’s mother might try to get custody of the baby.

And, who has a better chance of getting custody my daughter or the father? He has decided if he is going to have to pay child support he wants custody.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, your daughter is not breaking any law by not providing him proof of or information regarding her pregnancy. Until the child is born and he proves paternity LEGALLY (i.e. via a court-approved DNA test or by signing an Affadavit of Parentage), he is not the father.

Once he does the above, he will have every right to file for custody and/or visitation.

His mother will have the same rights to the baby as you do. None.

waitinMd

you can have those calls blocked or just don't answer the phone. If they leave a message, save it.

The father of the baby's mother (child's grandmother) has zero rights, the same as you.

The father can file for custody/visitation once he is proven to be the father. Both parents have equal rights, unless proven otherwise.

Your daughter doesn't have to 'prove' anything.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My 17 year old daughter is pregnant, the father is also 17 at this time but will be 18 been the baby is born. Since my daughter found out she is pregnant the boy has dumped her and is making life miserable for her as is his mother and current girlfriend. The father of the baby and his girlfriend call my daughter from blocked number and harass and threaten her. We do have taped phone conversation of these threats. He and his mother have changed phone numbers and have moved, I did have the address but have misplaced it. Currently the baby’s father has started telling my daughter through a Facebook site that he wants proof she is pregnant and she is breaking the law by not giving to him. Is this correct?

Second, what will the rights of the father’s mother be since he will 18 when the baby is born. She has stated that she wants visitation with the baby and because of statements the mother has made, my daughter is concerned the father’s mother might try to get custody of the baby.

And, who has a better chance of getting custody my daughter or the father? He has decided if he is going to have to pay child support he wants custody.

Currently the boy is not the child's father as the child has no legal father. He has a right to proof of paternity and he can go to court to petition for that but he does not have a right to proof of pregnancy.The rights of the father's mother will be the same as your rights -- NONE. They will flow through the rights of the child's parents. You will have rights ONLY to the extent that your daughter lets you see the child.
Also your daughter will most likely retain primary physical custody however dad has a good shot at getting joint legal once he is determined legally to be dad.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
you can have those calls blocked or just don't answer the phone. If they leave a message, save it.

The father of the baby's mother (child's grandmother) has zero rights, the same as you.

The father can file for custody/visitation once he is proven to be the father. Both parents have equal rights, unless proven otherwise.

Your daughter doesn't have to 'prove' anything.
I disagree with a bit of this -- actually want to clarify what I believe you are meaning. The daughter does have to prove that he is the father should she choose to petition for child support.
The boy can petition for paternity at the same time as custody and visitation -- they are not different lawsuits necessarily.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I meant her daughter does not have to provide 'proof' she is pregnant to the alledged father.

Correct?
As far as I know that is correct. i don't know of a state that requires her to prove she is pregnant to someone she slept with.

proud_parent

I meant her daughter does not have to provide 'proof' she is pregnant to the alledged father.

Correct?
Correct. The girl is breaking no law by not providing proof of pregancy to the putative father.

The State and/or county may be entitled to proof of pregancy from a physician if the girl applies for children and family services. Her school or employer may also request proof if she asks to be excused from compulsory activities due to the pregancy.

deannab32

New question

Could my daughter give me guardianship of the baby without the fathers approval? She does live with me and will continue to after the baby is born.

We are looking at all options for insurance for the baby and if I have guardianship the baby could be added to my insurance through work. If my daughter can keep from it she would like to keep from getting any state aid or requesting child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Could my daughter give me guardianship of the baby without the fathers approval? She does live with me and will continue to after the baby is born.

We are looking at all options for insurance for the baby and if I have guardianship the baby could be added to my insurance through work. If my daughter can keep from it she would like to keep from getting any state aid or requesting child support.
If the father of the baby doesn't agree, things will be much tougher. While I commend your daughter for wanting to avoid state aid, I feel she is doing a huge disservice to the child by not requesting that the father contribute financially.

LdiJ

No, she basically cannot give you guardianship without the father's approval. Based on the way you are describing things, I doubt you would get that approval, and even trying that might give dad a basis in court for primary custody.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Nope. She will have to inform the alleged father. And if she gives you guardianship that gives baby daddy a great in to get primary physical custody. She needs to grow up and realize that there are consequences to the decisions she has made.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, she basically cannot give you guardianship without the father's approval. Based on the way you are describing things, I doubt you would get that approval, and even trying that might give dad a basis in court for primary custody.
I should have just cosigned this.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm starting to think that these sorts of issues really need to be addressed in sex ed classes at school. Too many teens don't seem to understand the legal ramifications of having a child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm starting to think that these sorts of issues really need to be addressed in sex ed classes at school. Too many teens don't seem to understand the legal ramifications of having a child.
You are assuming that most schools a) have sex ed classes, b) discuss sex, c) know the law, and d) do more than just preach abstinence. I agree that teens need to know this. However convince the people who can do something about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">