• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sex offender registration and custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredNConfused

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have been been divorced for 1 year and separated for a total of 3 years from my ex. We have 2 children, ages 4 and 7 and have both joint legal and physical custody. I have been involved with a man for about a year and half that is a registered sex offender (for sex with a minor 15 years old when he was 21). He and I just a baby a few months ago. My question is this. Lately there have been issues with my ex and I. Now he's threatening to take full custody of our children because of my fiance being a sex offender. What is the law regarding this type of situation? My fiance has supported my children for the past year and half becuase my ex has not paid child support. My ex is currently unemployed and has been for 4 months now and his wife has just gotten a job making barely minimum wage/part time. There are also unfit issues with my ex. His wife does drugs, has 2 assault charges and lost her license from drunk driving. If I could get some answer and hopefully easy my fears of losing my children I would hopefully be able to get some sleep. I am a stay at home mom and have done nothing but the best for my children as well as my fiance. Please help!! :(

Shay-Pari'e

Stay awake, because your "X" has a very solid ground here. Your boytoy is a registered sex offender, and your children will not be able to live under the same roof as him.

Make your choice.

ceara19

--PARIDISE-- said:
Stay awake, because your "X" has a very solid ground here. Your boytoy is a registered sex offender, and your children will not be able to live under the same roof as him.

Make your choice.
You are probably right, but if the charge was statutory, he is more than likely not under the same level of supervision as other sex offenders. If he's off probation , there is probably no clause in his release paper ordering him to stay away from children. Even if he is considered low-risk, dad still has grounds to ask for a modification. The judge can take the boyfriends circumstances into consideration, it doesn't mean they will, just can.

She could bring up the ex's wife's history, but the court may or may not take it into consideration also.

I'd hate to be the judge in this one though. It doesn't really sound like either one of them is clearly the most competent parent.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
You are probably right, but if the charge was statutory, he is more than likely not under the same level of supervision as other sex offenders. If he's off probation , there is probably no clause in his release paper ordering him to stay away from children. Even if he is considered low-risk, dad still has grounds to ask for a modification. The judge can take the boyfriends circumstances into consideration, it doesn't mean they will, just can.

She could bring up the ex's wife's history, but the court may or may not take it into consideration also.

I'd hate to be the judge in this one though. It doesn't really sound like either one of them is clearly the most competent parent.
I agree that neither one of them have necessarily made the wisest choices, however....I am not sure that mom's choice of partner is necessarily as bad as dad's.

A 21 year old having sex with a 15 year old is wrong and stupid but it doesn't make that 21 year old a pedofile. It mostly means that the 21 year old made a really stupid mistake. For all we know he may have grown up since then and become a model citizen.

Dad's wife however apparently has a fairly bad record...of some length.

However, I agree, I wouldn't want to be the judge on this one either.

S

sabrinashubby

kids should come first

if those were my kids, i would not leave this man alone with them, there is a risk he could assault them as well. who is more important, your kids, or this man? you are really playing with fire here.

Zephyr

sabrinashubby said:
if those were my kids, i would not leave this man alone with them, there is a risk he could assault them as well. who is more important, your kids, or this man? you are really playing with fire here.

OMG, is there any doubt now?!!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

<boldly typed title typer!>

rmet4nzkx

ScaredNConfused said:

I have been been divorced for 1 year and separated for a total of 3 years from my ex. We have 2 children, ages 4 and 7 and have both joint legal and physical custody. I have been involved with a man for about a year and half that is a registered sex offender (for sex with a minor 15 years old when he was 21). He and I just a baby a few months ago. My question is this. Lately there have been issues with my ex and I. Now he's threatening to take full custody of our children because of my fiance being a sex offender. What is the law regarding this type of situation? My fiance has supported my children for the past year and half becuase my ex has not paid child support. My ex is currently unemployed and has been for 4 months now and his wife has just gotten a job making barely minimum wage/part time. There are also unfit issues with my ex. His wife does drugs, has 2 assault charges and lost her license from drunk driving. If I could get some answer and hopefully easy my fears of losing my children I would hopefully be able to get some sleep. I am a stay at home mom and have done nothing but the best for my children as well as my fiance. Please help!! :(
Is the "Friend of the Court" aware of this situation, both your fiance father of your child and the spouse of your ex? That would be your best source of information. Failure to bring this to the court's attention could adversely affect any outcome so it is better to be proactive than to wait for your ex to file first.

acmb05

Omg are you related to Kate?

ScaredNConfused said:

So you brought a sex offender into your home who has a preference for young girls and your saying thats thats good for your children.

I have to dissagree with you this time LDiJ being 21 and having sex with a 15 year old most certainly does make him a pedophile. I would be willing to bet his arrest record says the same.

LdiJ

acmb05 said:
So you brought a sex offender into your home who has a preference for young girls and your saying thats thats good for your children.

I have to dissagree with you this time LDiJ being 21 and having sex with a 15 year old most certainly does make him a pedophile. I would be willing to bet his arrest record says the same.
You could be right...however I am imagining some 21 year old boys that I know, compared to some 15 year old girls...and in general the maturity levels are often the same...sigh. However I don't see that as someone being a pedofile...stupid...but not a pedofile.

I do agree that neither one of them are making good choices.

Shay-Pari'e

sabrinashubby said:
If they were your kids, they would be looking at the sticky note on your forehead,**************......letting them know what personality you are that day.

Just Blue

--PARIDISE-- said:
If they were your kids, they would be looking at the sticky note on your forehead,**************......letting them know what personality you are that day.

Pari...I am sure on of the dead relitives would tell the 20+ kids what personality they were addressing for the moment.... ;)

Shay-Pari'e

baystategirl said:
Pari...I am sure on of the dead relitives would tell the 20+ kids what personality they were addressing for the moment.... ;)
They also slapped the sticky note on Kell's forehead. ;)

Just Blue

--PARIDISE-- said:
They also slapped the sticky note on Kell's forehead. ;)

Oh...Thats right...because they are dead they have a hard time talking....Thank God for sticky notes!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">