• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sharing a bedroom with daddy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

YBN

I'm trying to find out in the state of Maryland, if there are any guidelines specifying at what age is a girl considered to be too old to sleep with daddy. In this particular situation, daddy has a 1 bedroom apartment. The girl is approaching 8!

M

missjasmine

That situation is totally inappropriate and needs to be stopped immediately. My ex was actually investigated and it was substantiated that my daughter was at risk for sexual abuse by him. When she was about 2 1/2 he used to have her sleep with him and shower with him. Doesn't "Daddy" have a couch she can sleep on and if he has court-orders sleepovers why doesn't he get a 2 bedroom? If his visitation isn't court-ordered I wouldn't let her go until he remedies this very touchy situation which could ultimately get him into alot of trouble. Disgusting.

LegalBeagle

missjasmine: Your response is based on your own experience which is fine, but our poster does not state anything about sexual abuse or even a threat of. There is nothing wrong (or disgusting) with a father sleeping in the same bed as an 8 year old girl providing cloths are worn. Not *all* men are out to sexually abuse their children.

M

missjasmine

Obviously the poster is not comforable with the situation either or he/she wouldn't have posted. I did not say that all men were sex abusers, but this man is putting himself in a very precarious situation by sleeping in the same bed with his daughter. I totally disagree with you on this one.

S

SUNSEDRAE

Don't disrubt your ex and child's relationship because of the fact the he only has a 1 bedroom apt. Possibly because of the divorce you came out with everything and this is all he can afford. but yet-he still has an interest in gettng and keeping the child. If your child has not yet complained about being uncomfortable with the sleeping arrangement at daddy's, don't put things such as sexual abuse in the childs mind. She's 8-she'll tell you if something is not the way it should be.

momofrose

I actually had the same problem with my ex. My daughter was four years old and she was still sleeping in the same bed. There was absolutely nothing incestious or discusting going on, but I still felt it was unhealthy and did not allow her to be independent. Someone mentioned 4 letters to him DYFS and suddenly my daughter was sleeping in her own bedroom.

blueboy

In my situation, I am the Dad, Mom was ordered to get an extra bedroom for our daughter. There was no abuse going on, but they felt my daughter should have her own room. Keep in mind I didn't ask for that, but it was still ordered. I dont see anything wrong with a little girl sleeping in the same bed as a Daddy, conversly I also see nothing wrong with a little boy sleeping with his Mom.
The funny part of this was that Mom was unemployed and living with her parents. She had to ask her parents to move so that she didn't loose her daughter. Grandparents weren't thilled with having thier lives turned upseide down, but they'd do anything to keep my daughter with them away from me.
I didn't see anything wrong, so to say, with them sharing a bedroom, but it is better for my daughter now.
So, in my opinion as long as you are sure there is no abuse going on don't go to court. Just ask your X to get a cot for him to sleep on while she is there. Tell him she is just getting too old for that and needs more space. Tell him it will help her develop emotionally.

Legally I don't know but from a person who has been put in this position too much emphasis has been put in to this bonding in bed with children it is one thing when they are sick but a steady diet only creates a problem down the line that the child will not sleep on their own with out that need for a nother body ,also if it is not something that both parties agree upon then it should not be done because the cp has to undo that damage that the ncp because they want to do what they want. Also quite frankly most times the reason for them to sleep toghter is soley for thier own gratification of having that warm body next to them, sorta like makeing up for the partner that is not their. don't put your own needs out on the child for your need for physical companionship in bed. To me it is extremely inappropriate for mother or father to be sleeping in the same bed with a child ,because it is inconvient for someone to sleep out on the couch or sleeping bag............................

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">