• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She quit her job to avoid paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelbrite

New York state here...I took my ex to court because she wasn't paying her pro-rata shares. Her lawyer never showed. Court was rescheduled, but strangely the same day I received a letter from her lawyer stating that, despite the divorce decree saying that she was to pay her pro-rata shares of uncovered medical, dental and daycare, they were counter claiming for me to pay 100% of everything along with an increase in the child support payments because she was "laid off" from her job the day before court!
I found out from her friend that she was "laid off" because she only wanted to go back part time and her employer said no. Doesn't that fall under quitting? Can she be made to supply a letter from her employer stating why she was "laid off"?
Also, since the divorce decree clearly states she must pay her shares, can she get out of it now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">