• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

she wont let me see kids !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

playsbytherules

iowa

Will try to keep this short but give as much detail as possible. Iowa. Divorced 2 years. The battle went on for 3 years because she wouldn’t EVER follow a single order or judgment. She thinks the rules don’t apply to her. I still don’t have visitation, or property ordered 2 yrs ago. I have paid every dime of alimony and CS since the order was signed (in fact paid every bill for her to live in the marital home for the 3 yrs while the divorce was underway, while she pocketed every dime of her income into a separate account.) So now, 2 yrs later, she filed bankruptcy.

In our decree it states the following things:

Each party shall assume and pay and hold the other harmless there from any debts they have individually incurred since the filing of the petition for Dissolution of Marriage… Respondent agrees to pay 20% of the obligation owed on the parties’ joint [Credit Card] …

…Within 60 days of the signing of this decree, both parties shall acquire a new credit card and shall transfer their obligation on the [Credit Card] to that new credit card.

Neither party shall, by bankruptcy or otherwise, discharge of shift responsibility or liability for any obligation for which he or she is responsible pursuant to the stipulation and Decree. Therefore, if a Petition in Bankruptcy is filed, any debt or obligation is discharged as to the party responsible in this Stipulation…and if the creditor then seeks payment or reimbursement from the other party, the responsible party under this Decree… shall indemnify and/or hold the other party harmless from the debtors obligation.

If either party shall violate these provisions, he or she shall be subject to contempt proceedings and the Court may make adjustments in other provisions as are just and equitable under the circumstances.

In the event either party to this agreement defaults upon his or her obligation…and the other party assumes the defaulting parties share… the party assuming the defaulting parity’s costs shall have a judgment against the defaulting party…

In the event either party must incur legal fees to enforce any provision of this agreement, the other party agrees to pay reasonable attorney fees so incurred for that purpose. Further, in the event a creditor proceeds against a party because the other party did not make the required payment, pay the balance due or defaults on said requirements in any way… the aggrieved party may be rewarded reasonable attorney fees from the defaulting party incurred for the purpose of defending against the creditors efforts.

Any debt not specifically assigned shall be paid by the individual who incurred the obligation in question. Each party shall assume and hold the other harmless from any obligation to pay the debts… including attorney fees and Court costs with the non-assuming party may incur in the defense of any claim, demand or legal proceeding incident to the debt, liability or obligation assumed by the other party.

She gets all of my bonus this year. (I had to agree to insane items to get it overwith

She didn’t ever transfer her share of the credit card, balance remaining $5000.
She fraudulently re-opened a previously closed JOINT account and withdrew $3000, 3 days before she filed bankruptcy. Bank wants it from me because my name was still on the account SHE reopened.
Court ordered her to release my property within 10days, it’s been 2 years, she still refuses – hold this and everything else she can think of over my head to see our children (I was awarded joint legal custody, EO Weekend, 2 evenings every week.

Doesn’t all of the above spell it all out pretty well – in the event of her filing BK, I would get a judgement against her for the amount she discharged to me? I took 80% of the CC debt – her taking 20% was part of the ‘property division’ though I got nothing in the list the judge signed.

So it’s bonus time. She saddled me with $8000 of her debt. Remember she never ever has done one single thing ordered by the court. She keeps the kids on my weekend, refuses to let me see them, they want to see me but won’t stand up for themselves and it kills me they are in this position so I don’t ask them to fight her. I just continue to call and remind them it’s my night and I’m sorry she won’t let them come over or let me pick them up. They understand and are unhappy, but I can’t force them and make it even worse on them….

Specific items she has been ordered to turn over, including tax refund checks and family heirloom furniture, US Savings bonds… she simply refuses – it’s all spelled out in the order signed by the judge, she just says ‘nope’ It’s cost me $20,000 in atty fees already and I just don’t have another dime to spend on an atty who never gets anything done. THE QDRO isn’t even done yet because the x won’t give up her 401k documentation – it’s ordered, she refuses, I don’t have any $ to fight her.

SO there is no way I will ever get a penny of the $8000 she has stuck me with even if a judge enters a judgement for me against her . SO I’m thinking this:

Bonus pay = $10,000 less $8000 she stuck me with = she gets $2000.

I’m merely carrying out on my own what is clearly spelled out in black and white in the decree, right? No judge would order anything different under these circumstances, right? One wouldn’t possibly expect me to get stuck with her $8000K credit card debt AND hand over $10k more – RIGHT? I simply don’t have it. There is no way I can payoff her $8000k except to use ‘her’ bonus money. I don’t have the money to fight her in court, and in order to get a judgement, I’d have to use an attorney = $$$$

Btw, I’m not wealthy, I put myself through school and have earned a good career over the years, but I barely scrape by while giving her $3000/mo – It leaves me a little over $1000 for me to live on while she lives like a queen – then files BK on $100K in Credit Card debt, (she accumulated in just 2 years) showing $2300 in assets… She’s a liar and a thief. Tonight was the very last straw. Went to get my kids for our visitation night. She says until she gets the $10k, I won’t see the kids. She says my withholding the $10k is the same as attempting to collect a debt and that I, as a creditor in her BK, can’t do that, so she’s calling the police…

I’ve bent over backwards to make everything right for her and the kids and I get screwed time and time again. WHAT DO I DO?? Appreciate your help so much!

nextwife

Jesh, I HATE women like this! Your children are NOT "collateral" to hold in exchange for a debt!

Get an attorney and file contempt for every violation, and ask that the amount needed to pay off the credit card she fraudulantly reopened be deducted out of her alimony, and that SHE pay your attorney fees. Were it me, I'd look into CRIMINAL charges for fraudulantly tapping into a credit card, if she forged your signature or swore falsely to get access to the money.

$100,000 in CC debt in two YEARS?

playsbytherules

yep, $100k in two years AND lists a minimal amount in assets. She didn't charge more on the joint card, just still owes the amount she was supposed to tranfer to a new card within 60days of the order but didn't She has 100k on NEW cards she's gotten since the divorce.
I just want to see my kids and not get stuck with her $8k debts... SHe's evil, just plain EVIL

Let her call the police. Tell them that you would like this documented as to her contempt of the court order for violation of visitation. Contempt of a court order is a serious offence that can carry hefty fines and jail time.

If she doesn't call the police, be sure that you do. Document all of the times that she has denied you. Take her back to court and file contempt of court orders.

As to your other questions, just one moment and someone will be better able to help you.

playsbytherules

thanks so much... just wish the kids didn't have to see the pollice get involved. Now she says she's home from work sick tonight. she's always saying she's sick, taking time off work when she wasn't to go play with one of her boyfriends, she'll end up getting herself fired then i'll have to increase alimony. she threatens to quit or get fired all the time... i hate never having any recourse!

playsbytherules

Should I move forward with distributing as above? Does anyone think a judge would find ME in contempt for not handing over the $10K?

Last edited:
B

betterthanher

playsbytherules said:
thanks so much... just wish the kids didn't have to see the pollice get involved. Now she says she's home from work sick tonight. she's always saying she's sick, taking time off work when she wasn't to go play with one of her boyfriends, she'll end up getting herself fired then i'll have to increase alimony. she threatens to quit or get fired all the time... i hate never having any recourse!
Yes you DO have recourse -- it's called filing contempt charges against her. She won't let you see the children, then you should be filing contempt charges each and every time -- asking that she pay your attorney and filing fees each and every time. After a few, when you file contempt ALSO file for a change in custody and modification of child support.

You DO have recourse. It's called dragging her loser ass into court. You have to stop being a rug. File criminal charges, if applicable and also file civil charges against her.

playsbytherules

Thanks... My atty is/was basically worthless, never made a damn thing happen. ... does anyone know what a judge would do if she files contempt on me for not giving her the $10k?

LdiJ

playsbytherules said:
Thanks... My atty is/was basically worthless, never made a damn thing happen. ... does anyone know what a judge would do if she files contempt on me for not giving her the $10k?
Ok...wow....I have some different advice to give.

Place the 10k in an escrow account (your bank can help you set one up).
Place any future alimony payments in that escrow account as well. (temporarily)

If you absolutely can't afford an attorney, then file a show cause for contempt on your own. List every single violation she has made on everything. Do it immediately. You should have done that the first time that she didn't honor the visitation agreement. Be up front in your petition...state that you have placed the bonus and alimony in escrow pending the decision of the court.

The wording of your divorce agreement helps you enormously. However, unfortunately, collecting from her under that agreement may be difficult to impossible since she obviously has nothing...therefore your alimony and the 10k are your only leverage.

You state that you are paying her 3000 a month in alimony and that leaves you only 1000.00 to live on. Something isn't right with this picture. Is it really all alimony?...or is part of it child support?...or is all of it child support?

Explain that thoroughly...quote from your agreement. Also, quote all the figures from your latest check stub. You may have made errors on your last year's tax return that could give you significant relief....and if that happened you don't want to make the same errors for 2005.

playsbytherules

what happens

if both parties are in contempt at a hearing? Does the judge review all the items, reprimand me and tell me I'm in contempt, but sure made sense to do what i did? what happens if one is found in contempt?
Appreciate all of your input, just have no idea what the outcomes of these things can be.

BelizeBreeze

playsbytherules said:
if both parties are in contempt at a hearing? Does the judge review all the items, reprimand me and tell me I'm in contempt, but sure made sense to do what i did? what happens if one is found in contempt?
Appreciate all of your input, just have no idea what the outcomes of these things can be.
Makes sense for what you did?

No, it never makes sense to ignore a court order. Regardless of what your ex is pulling, by not paying your court ordered support you have accomplished the following:

1. commited contempt;
2. weakened any case you may bring against the ex;
3. punished your children for the problems between you and the ex.

No one knows what the judge will do in this case, however, if he/she throws the both of you in jail and places the children in foster care, that would NOT be a bad thing. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

BelizeBreeze said:
Makes sense for what you did?

No, it never makes sense to ignore a court order. Regardless of what your ex is pulling, by not paying your court ordered support you have accomplished the following:

1. commited contempt;
2. weakened any case you may bring against the ex;
3. punished your children for the problems between you and the ex.

No one knows what the judge will do in this case, however, if he/she throws the both of you in jail and places the children in foster care, that would NOT be a bad thing. :rolleyes:
BB...the money that he hasn't paid is from his bonus rather than his monthly payments. Its not clear to me if that bonus money is to be paid to her as support or as part of his property settlement. Since he has to pay her the whole thing, rather than a percentage, I suspect that it may be part of the property settlement. If its property settlement money, then after reading over the wording that he gave us in his first post, I am not sure that he would be in contempt.

It would also be helpful to know how much of the 3k a month is alimony, and how much is child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">