• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my ex pay 1/2 of child care?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tde31168

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am the custodial parent.
My ex husband and I have joint custody, meaning we have our 2 children an equal amount of time (they have 2 homes).
He works 4 days and then he is off for 4 days etc.. etc.. And so he has our children on the 4 days he is off. I work 8-5 mon-fri.. therefor, I have to let them stay in child care.
He pays 1/2 of the amount of child support that he would pay if I had the kids the majority of the time.
My question is, is should he pay for part of their child care during the week on the days that I have them and I have to have someone watch them?
He has an advantage, when he has them it is always when he is off and he doesn't have to worry about a sitter.
Please help!!!!

Terra

C

cris24

I don't think he should have to pay for your child care. It's not his fault you work those hours. He's already giving you child support even though you have the kids equal time. Why should he give you more?

H

hexeliebe

Despite a personal opinion on the subject that you have already received, the legal answer is unless it is written in the custody and support order, the answer is no.

Have you approached your ex with the situation? If you have and he has said that he would not pay it, then your only option is to return to court and ask for an adjustment to the support order.

However, at this time, there is no legal basis for him to pay 1/2

V

VeeGee

It's situations like this I try to tell my friends about. Make sure everything you feel is important is in the decree when your getting divorced. If it's not, then the ex doesn't have to pay for half of anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">