• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabbytansey

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire is the state the children live in but i live in maine

A few years ago my mother let my brother and sister move to their fathers houses in new hampshire. (We live in maine). Control issues took place and basically thier dads would not let my mother, and therefore ME, speak with my brother or sister or visit them.
My mother filed for visitation and an official custody hearing. She was not trying to get them back just get her visitation in writing. And that was granted and the judge chewed them out for stopping that. BUT they STILL would not let either of us speak to them let alone see them. So my mother filed contempt charges with the court. BUT all this wore on her and basically she had a melt down. She never went to the court date and basically just gave up on everything. (Ie- she got majorly depressed).
At the time I was living on my own and was barely making enough to get by. We havent seen them since Summer of 05' when I was 19, my sister was turning 14, and my brother was 7.
The situation with my mother hasn't improved, basically she just gave up on lfe and is living as minimally as possible. I, on the other hand, am finally in a position where I am fight this and want to badly.

I'm 22, Im the residential manager of two homes for a mental health agency that i've worked at for two years. I make good money for someone my age and Im genuinely a good strong person.

Problem: I still live in a different state, 3 hours away from where they live and the courthouse I would have to go through to do this. I may be financially secure but I do not have the money to hire a lawyer especially for one to do as much traveling as that would all entail.
AND i'm not too sure of the process on how to do this all, but I know that there isn't usually much precedent for sibling visitation rights and its going to be a hard fight.

PLEASE help me.
Tell me anything you know.
Send me websites, give me advice. I want to prepare myself as much as possible and I'm willing to do anything to make this work.

gabbytansey

No she hasn't. I can't even get her to find a primary care doctor let alone a counselor and actually ATTEND an appt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">