• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Siblings taking custody of siblings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cxs379

My little sister is five years old, just started kindergarden this year. My mother is an addict. She hit rock bottom last year and was in the hospital for about a month with respiratory and cardio problems. Her heart was only fuctioning at around 20%. Now after having recovered function, she's taking drugs again.

My grandmother has been helping her since I was born, making excuses trying to see her through her problems and has just gotten fed up. Grandmother runs a restaurant and employed my mother up until a week ago, when she couldnt take my mothers chronic lateness and no-call-no-shows.

My mother does not bring my little sister to school consistently, and when she does send her off shes too lazy to wake up and pick her up off the bus. Then my grandmother gets a call from the principal that my little sister's is back at school.

A couple months ago, sister was molested by a 14-yr old boy. Apparently he stuck his finger somewhere he shouldn't have. My mother does not admit to it being her fault and is reluctant to even do anything about it.

There's also my 17-yr old brother who isn't making matters any better. He yells at sister constantly. He doesn't consider her when he has friends over getting wasted smoking pot and w/e else they might do, and my mother doesn't even say anything to him.

I am 21 years old. I work as a chemist in downtown Cleveland--family lives in out of state. I'm also in school full-time finishing a bachelor's degree. I was raised in the same environment that my little sister is in right now, and I don't want her to have to work as hard as I did to get where I'm at right now.

I would like to know if I stand a chance in obtaining custody my sister. My grandmother is sick with emphysema, and I don't think it's fair for her to have raise another child as young as my little sister. What should I do??

mistoffolees

My little sister is five years old, just started kindergarden this year. My mother is an addict. She hit rock bottom last year and was in the hospital for about a month with respiratory and cardio problems. Her heart was only fuctioning at around 20%. Now after having recovered function, she's taking drugs again.

My grandmother has been helping her since I was born, making excuses trying to see her through her problems and has just gotten fed up. Grandmother runs a restaurant and employed my mother up until a week ago, when she couldnt take my mothers chronic lateness and no-call-no-shows.

My mother does not bring my little sister to school consistently, and when she does send her off shes too lazy to wake up and pick her up off the bus. Then my grandmother gets a call from the principal that my little sister's is back at school.

A couple months ago, sister was molested by a 14-yr old boy. Apparently he stuck his finger somewhere he shouldn't have. My mother does not admit to it being her fault and is reluctant to even do anything about it.

There's also my 17-yr old brother who isn't making matters any better. He yells at sister constantly. He doesn't consider her when he has friends over getting wasted smoking pot and w/e else they might do, and my mother doesn't even say anything to him.

I am 21 years old. I work as a chemist in downtown Cleveland--family lives in out of state. I'm also in school full-time finishing a bachelor's degree. I was raised in the same environment that my little sister is in right now, and I don't want her to have to work as hard as I did to get where I'm at right now.

I would like to know if I stand a chance in obtaining custody my sister. My grandmother is sick with emphysema, and I don't think it's fair for her to have raise another child as young as my little sister. What should I do??
Legally, it's going to be difficult at best.

But if you can get Mom and Dad to agree to guardianship, you should be able to have the child with you.

So would Mom agree? And where is Dad?

cxs379

The father has never seen her, and has never once petitioned custody. In fact, I dont think he has even been diligently paying child support.

Mother definitely would not agree. She's an addict and refuses to admit that she has a problem. I would also go out on a limb and say, while on drugs at least, she's delusional. She believes what she is doing is okay because she thinks she raised me to be who I am. She does, however, love her children. That, of course, isn't the question.

Proserpina

The father has never seen her, and has never once petitioned custody. In fact, I dont think he has even been diligently paying child support.

Mother definitely would not agree. She's an addict and refuses to admit that she has a problem. I would also go out on a limb and say, while on drugs at least, she's delusional. She believes what she is doing is okay because she thinks she raised me to be who I am. She does, however, love her children. That, of course, isn't the question.

Have CPS been involved about the alleged sexual abuse?

If not, why not?

cxs379

They have been involved. I don't know if there has been any follow-up though. I don't talk to my mother for lack of trust. And she doesn't tell my grandmother everything, which is who I talk to.

Proserpina

They have been involved. I don't know if there has been any follow-up though. I don't talk to my mother for lack of trust. And she doesn't tell my grandmother everything, which is who I talk to.

Outside of your sister being removed for abuse, you have virtually no chance of obtaining custody or guardianship.

Unless Mom agrees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">