• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign over parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Newbie here... I have three children by an ex girlfriend. All live with thier mothers Aunt. I am on child support and the mother is as well. The children are very well cared for and loved. The Aunt has no problems with me or the mother visiting with the children and I am even allowed to take them overnight if I so chose.

My problem/question is this...... I was given a large amount of back support to pay from the first day I was placed on support. The aunt did not take me to court for the support. The state did. I have always given money to the aunt directly but the state decided it wanted me on OFFICIAL SUPPORT. I would like to know if I signed over my parental rights to the children if this would alleviate me of support. The aunt would never keep the kids from me and they are so happy and content where they are at. I would never even consider taking them from her. The mother can't have custody of them for reasons not worth mentioning here.

So again the question is: Would signing over my parental rights allow me to stop child support payments?

I understand I will probably be responsible for at least some of the arrears. But I want the current payments to stop and the aunt is fine with this as I have always paid her directly before the state got involved.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Signing over your parental rights would stop any future payments, but you are still responsible for your arrears. Sorry.

And you do realize what rights you lose by doing this, don't you? If not I would suggest using your good friend google for some more information.

Isis1

Newbie here... I have three children by an ex girlfriend. All live with thier mothers Aunt. I am on child support and the mother is as well. The children are very well cared for and loved. The Aunt has no problems with me or the mother visiting with the children and I am even allowed to take them overnight if I so chose.

My problem/question is this...... I was given a large amount of back support to pay from the first day I was placed on support. The aunt did not take me to court for the support. The state did. I have always given money to the aunt directly but the state decided it wanted me on OFFICIAL SUPPORT. I would like to know if I signed over my parental rights to the children if this would alleviate me of support. The aunt would never keep the kids from me and they are so happy and content where they are at. I would never even consider taking them from her. The mother can't have custody of them for reasons not worth mentioning here.

So again the question is: Would signing over my parental rights allow me to stop child support payments?

I understand I will probably be responsible for at least some of the arrears. But I want the current payments to stop and the aunt is fine with this as I have always paid her directly before the state got involved.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
unless the aunt is willing to adopt the children along with her spouse, no you will not be able to terminate your parental rights.

if aunt wants the support stopped then she needs to stop collecting state assistance if any, and the children need to be taken off state medical care.

this would also mean mom would have to terminate her parental rights. and mom may not be willing to do that.

signing over your parental rights is not smart if you intend to stay in your children's lives. i have seen so many stories of moms and dads giving up parental rights just to avoid paying support, only to have it backfire on them, when the adoptive parents decide to not allow contact. each and every one thought the adopting parent would still allow contact on good terms.

Gracie3787

Florida has a quirky law that allows a parent to voluntarily relinquish thier RIGHTS, however, the law does NOT allow a parent to relinquish their RESPONSIBILTY to support their child.
You can give up your right but not your responsibilty.

Isis1

Florida has a quirky law that allows a parent to voluntarily relinquish thier RIGHTS, however, the law does NOT allow a parent to relinquish their RESPONSIBILTY to support their child.
You can give up your right but not your responsibilty.
aww. FL. i stand corrected. OP, the answer is still no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">