• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign Over Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rulong21

I want to sign all my parental right's over to the mother of my son how do I do so? Im doing this to join the military and because we are not married im considered a single parent and must sign all my rights away to her. This is for the better of my son to have a more stable future. How do I go about doing so?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I want to sign all my parental right's over to the mother of my son how do I do so? Im doing this to join the military and because we are not married im considered a single parent and must sign all my rights away to her. This is for the better of my son to have a more stable future. How do I go about doing so?
No, what you need is a parenting plan in place showing that SHE is the custodial parent, along with a child support order that will be paid.

Rulong21

I've talked to countless recrutiers about a parenting plan it doesnt work that way rules and regulations for the military have changed. So with that said thank you but I have already tried this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I've talked to countless recrutiers about a parenting plan it doesnt work that way rules and regulations for the military have changed. So with that said thank you but I have already tried this.
You do NOT have to sign away your parental rights. You need to have her be the CUSTODIAL parent. They don't require people to no longer have children to enlist.

mistoffolees

You do NOT have to sign away your parental rights. You need to have her be the CUSTODIAL parent. They don't require people to no longer have children to enlist.
Which, unfortunately, means that you have to give the other parent sole legal as well as sole physical custody.

What that means is that you will still be obligated to pay any court-ordered child support. If you want to visit the child, you can do so, but only if the other parent allows it. So it is really to your advantage to stay on good terms.

Rather archaic, IMHO, but that's the way it works.

torimac

Mistoffolees, just for my own clarification...

If one parent is the custodial parent with sole legal and physical custody, is it not true that the NCP parent could still petition for visitation? It was my understanding that visitation schedules were independent of custody.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

If one parent is the custodial parent with sole legal and physical custody, is it not true that the NCP parent could still petition for visitation? It was my understanding that visitation schedules were independent of custody.
Agreed - Misto mis-spoke.

Sole Legal & Sole Physical does NOT preclude a visitation schedule.

mistoffolees

You are correct. OP could (and should, probably) petition for visitation orders. I mis-spoke.

Note, however that visitation for a military person becomes a problem. I generally don't like "as agreed between the parties" orders, but for a person in the military, it may be difficult or impossible to plan ahead. Perhaps something like 'NCP can have visitation up to 2 weekends per month if NCP gives advance notice of 30 days or more of intent to exercise visitation. CP shall not deny such visitation without good cause'. I don't like that, but it may be necessary to do something like that since there won't be a fixed schedule.

Antigone*

I like the way one my of colleagues put it this morning, so I will paraphrase.

Uncle Sam will not allow you to *******ize your child.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from, either. I have sole legal and physical custody, but The Teen's father still has court-ordered scheduled visitation. :cool:

TinkerBelleLuvr

When my son was looking at re-enlisting, it was the parenting plan along with how custody was spelled out that was addressed. The armed services want the children supported.

Proserpina

So we can help you further...why don't you tell us which branch, so perhaps one of us might take the time to search for the actual regulations?

That way you can perhaps print 'em out and show the recruiters why they're wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">