• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed birth certificate, 8 months later, mother states child not mine.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DaleNeedsHelp

North Carolina

I am 19 and going through hell. I was 17 when I signed the birth certificate of the child that my girlfriend, at the time gave birth to. She had been staying with me and my parents since she had gotten pregnant and until she told me that the child was not mine. She told me that the child was not mine on Dec. 25, 1999, the baby was 8 months old at this time. I still did things for the baby when she called me and said the bay needed something because I felt sorry for him, he is not at fault. She told me who the father was when she told me that he was not mine and that she woukd try to get my name off the birth certificate and the baby's name changed. I never heard from her again until Sept. 2000 when i was served with a court order to be in court for child support. The arbitrator assigned $245.00 a month to be paid to the child for support. I have a lawyer but she think my chances of getting a paternity test to prove that the baby is not mine is slim to none. I feel like I am running out og options, I have a court date on Jan. 11, 2001, I need to know if there is any way I can get a patetrnity test to prove that I am not the father. I have not even begun to live my life and can hardly afford lving by myself, why should I have to pay child support and the child is not mine? I did not know that she could do something like this to me, she led me to beleive that the child was mine, and at the time, I had no reason to doubt her until she confessed. Please help me out, I really need help. North Carolina

L

LadyBlu

DaleNeedsHelp said:
North Carolina

I am 19 and going through hell. I was 17 when I signed the birth certificate of the child that my girlfriend, at the time gave birth to. She had been staying with me and my parents since she had gotten pregnant and until she told me that the child was not mine. She told me that the child was not mine on Dec. 25, 1999, the baby was 8 months old at this time. I still did things for the baby when she called me and said the bay needed something because I felt sorry for him, he is not at fault. She told me who the father was when she told me that he was not mine and that she woukd try to get my name off the birth certificate and the baby's name changed. I never heard from her again until Sept. 2000 when i was served with a court order to be in court for child support. The arbitrator assigned $245.00 a month to be paid to the child for support. I have a lawyer but she think my chances of getting a paternity test to prove that the baby is not mine is slim to none. I feel like I am running out og options, I have a court date on Jan. 11, 2001, I need to know if there is any way I can get a patetrnity test to prove that I am not the father. I have not even begun to live my life and can hardly afford lving by myself, why should I have to pay child support and the child is not mine? I did not know that she could do something like this to me, she led me to beleive that the child was mine, and at the time, I had no reason to doubt her until she confessed. Please help me out, I really need help. North Carolina
By law you are entitled to a paternity test if the paternity of the child is in doubt. If your atty does not want to help you get it, you need to find another atty. If the Child support enforcement agency of NC is handling the case it is not uncommon to request the test and you will have no rights if you do not get it taken care of properly the first time around.

The main problem I see is that you signed the birth certificate, but you are disputing that within the two year time limit.

S

swthoss

Since you signed the Birth Certificate that states that you are the father.

You might be able to get the test on your own to check for paternity. You also may have to continue to pay support until the real father is located. Some states feel that some one has to take responsiblity for the child. Especially if she is on welfare.

You could try and include the other guy's name that she gave you, and have him tested at the same time.

You also have the right to visitation, If I were you, I would go for visitation, this may push her to get the real father named if the child is not yours. Then that would release you from child support. But if hte child is yours you have a right to see him. Exersize all of your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">