• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing over parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktwalden

What is the name of your state? GA

My son's ex-girlfriend has custody of their 18 month old daughter. The ex-girlfriend moved 3 states away in April...temporarily at first to care for a terminal family member but that move has turned permanent. My son has seen his daughter once during this time and has paid child support every week except for the last 4 weeks. He has an open case with a lawyer(one that is hard to get in touch with) that originated in December of 2005 concerning child support and visitation. He has had some drug problems and is currently unemployed. Mediation has not worked in resolving the issues...she wants more money and less visitation. Her recent demand is for my son to "sign over his rights" and she won't take him to court. My questions are....can he be made to "sign over his rights" because of his drug use.....exactly what "rights" are being signed over....is this even a legal process in Georgia?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

No, "signing over his rights" is not an option. The state will not allow someone to terminate their parental rights unless there is a stepparent who is willing to adopt the child and take over the legal responsibilities. Its in both the best interest of the child, AND in the best interest of the state for every child to have two legal parents responsible for them. There can be some exceptions to that...but generally only in the case of a truly dangerous parent or a CP with a strong financial position.

Is there an actual visitation case pending in court in GA? If so, that is good because jurisdiction is establish in GA. However, your son really needs to reach his attorney. Its probably too late to make her return to GA with the child, but he really needs to get enforceable visitation rights established. He also needs to get caught up with his child support ASAP. While child support and visitation are separate issues, its not a good strategy to go into court on custody/visitation issues when you haven't been paying your child support. He also needs to clean up his drug issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">