• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY My 18 year old daughter had a baby 2months ago and was staying at the fathers mothers apartment for 2 weeks until he went to jail for 8 months. Now his mother wants my daughter and her son to sign over their parental rights to her claiming so that she can be covered by her medical. My daughter lives with me and we only let his mother have the baby 2 days a week the rest of the time the baby is at my house. My daughter has to go to court tomorrow and is not going to sign over her rights and they are bringing the father in from jail. My question is does she have to sign over here rights or can she refuse and get soul custody of her baby?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY My 18 year old daughter had a baby 2months ago and was staying at the fathers mothers apartment for 2 weeks until he went to jail for 8 months. Now his mother wants my daughter and her son to sign over their parental rights to her claiming so that she can be covered by her medical. My daughter lives with me and we only let his mother have the baby 2 days a week the rest of the time the baby is at my house. My daughter has to go to court tomorrow and is not going to sign over her rights and they are bringing the father in from jail. My question is does she have to sign over here rights or can she refuse and get soul custody of her baby?
she should absolutely refuse. it's her baby. if the baby needs to be medically covered, and mom isn't working at this precise moment, she can march to the welfare office and have the baby covered by the state WHILE she goes job hunting.

and unless this is church, it's SOLE custody. she may need to go to court and start her own custody case. she will most likely be granted primary residence with joint custody since dad is in jauil, when he gets out he can file for a visitation plan. neither grandma in this story has any rights that supercede the parents.

They are going to court because the fathers mother wants them to sign over their parental rights. She petitioned the court and my daughter got a letter from family court stating she has to go to court tomorrow.

HomeGuru

They are going to court because the fathers mother wants them to sign over their parental rights. She petitioned the court and my daughter got a letter from family court stating she has to go to court tomorrow.
**A: what a fiasco. Tekk her to go to court and state that she refuses to give up any of her rights.

tornado88

What is the grandmother stating as her reasons (on the court papers) why she feels she needs custody? I know you said it was so she could put the child on her health insurance, but a judge is not going to tell your daughter that is reason enough for her to sign over her rights. NEVER, EVER tell your daughter to agree to do that!! Those are rights she may never get back. If the grandmother coninues to push this get a good attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">