• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eohippus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a 3 year old son that I have been the sole provider for since he was 2 1/2 months old. I left my husband when he became physically abusive to our son, and mentally and emotionally abusive to me. (this was something that had been getting worse over the last year). We have been divorced since March of 2011, and he has contributed nothing towards Keegan's care, nor tried to see him. He emailed me expressing interest in signing over parental rights. This is what I have been hoping for, now I need to know what to do next.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a 3 year old son that I have been the sole provider for since he was 2 1/2 months old. I left my husband when he became physically abusive to our son, and mentally and emotionally abusive to me. (this was something that had been getting worse over the last year). We have been divorced since March of 2011, and he has contributed nothing towards Keegan's care, nor tried to see him. He emailed me expressing interest in signing over parental rights. This is what I have been hoping for, now I need to know what to do next.
Get married. Be married for about a year and have your new spouse adopt. Never accept any state aid and you won't have to ask for child support.

Is there a child support order? Is there a visitation order?

Eohippus

Support/visitation

There is no order for child support- my ex threatened to make things as difficult as he could if I did not agree to pass up on child support. He has the right to request supervised visitation on occasion, but he has never once pursued that. He has not seen Keegan since he was two and a half months old- he will be three in March.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There is no order for child support- my ex threatened to make things as difficult as he could if I did not agree to pass up on child support. He has the right to request supervised visitation on occasion, but he has never once pursued that. He has not seen Keegan since he was two and a half months old- he will be three in March.
Without a child support order, he doesn't owe anything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are doing your child a disservice by NOT seeking the support he is entitled to. It might make you uncomfortable, but you're an adult.

Eohippus

Child support

I am not looking to gain anything financially from my ex. I just want him permanently out of my son and my life, this is something he wants to, and has expressed interest in relinquishing paternal rights. He lives in FL, I live in PA. I am trying to find out what I need to do to pursue this option.

Antigone*

I am not looking to gain anything financially from my ex. I just want him permanently out of my son and my life, this is something he wants to, and has expressed interest in relinquishing paternal rights. He lives in FL, I live in PA. I am trying to find out what I need to do to pursue this option.
You have been told what you need to do. You need to get married. You need to have your new husband adopt your child.

By the way, are you on any type of State aid?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You don't seem to understand. The court will not b*****dize your child.

mistoffolees

You have been told what you need to do. You need to get married. You need to have your new husband adopt your child.

By the way, are you on any type of State aid?
And since OP doesn't seem to be getting the message - unless there is someone that the court would allow to adopt the child, Dad can not simply walk away from his obligations.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Don't get on state aid and don't file for CS. Dad isn't obligated to spend any time with Junior. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">