• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over parental rights Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeccaOhio

Ohio... I am the mother and residential parent of a 4yr old girl. My ex husband pays child support, we do have shared parenting. He recently told me that he wishes to sign over his parental rights to me. Though I believe that ALL children deserve both parents in their life I do unfortunately believe that this may be best in the long run, for my daughters sake.

My ex husband has a new gf and has a new baby with her. She has expressed numerous times that she does not like my daughter. She is mean to her and does not abide my daughter's doctor orders. (i.e. SEVERE peanut allergy and allergic to smoke) Also, there is an open case regarding possible sexual abuse with my daughter, not by her father but by her father's uncle. My ex husband does not believe our daughter and continued to force my daughter to see the man, even though she expressed how scared she is of him. (the uncle)

My ex husband has not seen our daughter in nearly a month by his own choosing. I feel awful for my daughter. I have her in counseling to try and help her deal with everything. I want to help her and protect her at all costs. She is my world, I would gladly and willing die for her in a heartbeat. I wish that the situation was different but much to my dismay this is where we are right now.

He wants to sign over rights to me. I have been given different, contradictory advice and "laws" in Ohio. I do not know what the facts are here and in all honesty I do not know where to turn. I need help!!! Can he sign over his rights? Are the courts able to refuse this? My daughter and I live with my parents and I am currently unemployed, yet the legal aid in my area is not being of any help to me. I do not know where to turn. Please help me!!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio... I am the mother and residential parent of a 4yr old girl. My ex husband pays child support, we do have shared parenting. He recently told me that he wishes to sign over his parental rights to me. Though I believe that ALL children deserve both parents in their life I do unfortunately believe that this may be best in the long run, for my daughters sake.

My ex husband has a new gf and has a new baby with her. She has expressed numerous times that she does not like my daughter. She is mean to her and does not abide my daughter's doctor orders. (i.e. SEVERE peanut allergy and allergic to smoke) Also, there is an open case regarding possible sexual abuse with my daughter, not by her father but by her father's uncle. My ex husband does not believe our daughter and continued to force my daughter to see the man, even though she expressed how scared she is of him. (the uncle)

My ex husband has not seen our daughter in nearly a month by his own choosing. I feel awful for my daughter. I have her in counseling to try and help her deal with everything. I want to help her and protect her at all costs. She is my world, I would gladly and willing die for her in a heartbeat. I wish that the situation was different but much to my dismay this is where we are right now.

He wants to sign over rights to me. I have been given different, contradictory advice and "laws" in Ohio. I do not know what the facts are here and in all honesty I do not know where to turn. I need help!!! Can he sign over his rights? Are the courts able to refuse this? My daughter and I live with my parents and I am currently unemployed, yet the legal aid in my area is not being of any help to me. I do not know where to turn. Please help me!!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
He can not see his child and he can agree to no visitation and custody rights. But he cannot just terminatehis rights. He would still be responsible for child support and would still be the child's legal parent. Legal aid will not help you with this. File to modify visitation and custody so that father would have no contact with his child.

BeccaOhio

Little confused

I don't understand why he can't just terminate his rights. He doesn't want her and wants nothing to do with her. I don't care about the child support, that's of no importance to me. I just want my daughter to be out of the situation and free of that form of pain and emotional anguish. :confused:

kimberlywrites

Then do what was suggested and file the changes. What's the difference at this point? If he's not seeing her, he's not seeing her. DD won't have mental anguish if you DO NOT discuss any of this with her.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I don't understand why he can't just terminate his rights. He doesn't want her and wants nothing to do with her. I don't care about the child support, that's of no importance to me. I just want my daughter to be out of the situation and free of that form of pain and emotional anguish. :confused:
Because the state wants two parents responsible for any child's support. If for some reason you had to go on state aid, then the state could go to Dad and require him to pay the state back the moneys.

mommyof4

Because if he were able to sign away all legal and financial responsibility, there is a greater chance that the taxpayers of Ohio would be forced to take on his (and yours) financial responsibility...especially since you, yourself, are unemployed.

NO court is going to willingly *******ize a child and leave that child at greater risk for dependency and poverty unless that child is in such grave danger from the parent that that is the best option.

If he doesn't want to have any contact with the child, that's his choice. However, legal TPR is not necessary to accomplish this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not going to pay for your baby -- that is why. YOU chose this man. YOU made him a daddy. YOU are stuck with him. Plain and simple. If you didn't want him being a daddy then you shouldn't have made him a daddy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">