• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over rights/Child Support...???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedInfo85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My daughter is 6 years old. Her father has pretty much abandoned her, for her entire life. He hasn't seen her for 2 years. And when he did see her in previous years it would only be for a couple of hours a MONTH. It was always forced, and could tell both him and my daughter were very uncomfortable. As my daughter is getting older, she understands and realizes the reality of what's going on, and doesn't want anything to do with him.

Now him and I have touched base, and talked about him signing over rights. If he does so, I agreed to sign over the child support rights. I am single. I have read that if one parent signs over the rights the parent with the rights has to have someone there to take on the fathers financial obligation. Although I make 20k more a year then her father does. With or without his $74/bi-weekly I am the one who pays my mortgage, my bills, gives her nice things, and so on. So is it possible that we can go about this, without me having someone in my life to take on his "obligation?"

Anyone that knows the Wisconsin law and knows anythign about this, I would appreciate hearing from you, or at least get a start on what we have to do next.
Thanks!

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My daughter is 6 years old. Her father has pretty much abandoned her, for her entire life. He hasn't seen her for 2 years. And when he did see her in previous years it would only be for a couple of hours a MONTH. It was always forced, and could tell both him and my daughter were very uncomfortable. As my daughter is getting older, she understands and realizes the reality of what's going on, and doesn't want anything to do with him.

Now him and I have touched base, and talked about him signing over rights. If he does so, I agreed to sign over the child support rights. I am single. I have read that if one parent signs over the rights the parent with the rights has to have someone there to take on the fathers financial obligation. Although I make 20k more a year then her father does. With or without his $74/bi-weekly I am the one who pays my mortgage, my bills, gives her nice things, and so on. So is it possible that we can go about this, without me having someone in my life to take on his "obligation?"

Anyone that knows the Wisconsin law and knows anythign about this, I would appreciate hearing from you, or at least get a start on what we have to do next.
Thanks!
Nope. There have to be TWO parents so that, if something were to happen and you were to apply for State aid, the State could recoup its money by going after dad.

So, you need to have a stepdad to adopt.

Dad can always choose NOT to visit. And you don't push it. And you can cancel the child support order. Then everyone goes on their merry way. Nobody "pushes" anything.

NeedInfo85

Ahhh I gotcha. Thank you for the response... So, I can still contact child support and cancel the support and he can just continue to not see her, and have just like an "agreement" between the two of us.

Well here's the other twist. Because he doesn't want anything to do with our daughter, and he has "court ordered" visitation his mom has been taking our daughter for 4 hours a month. Now even if him and I have this agreement... would that cut off all visitations rights? Or can she go for something like grandparents rights?

Going through this is such a headache, but so worth it for my daughter.

Humusluvr

Ahhh I gotcha. Thank you for the response... So, I can still contact child support and cancel the support and he can just continue to not see her, and have just like an "agreement" between the two of us.

Well here's the other twist. Because he doesn't want anything to do with our daughter, and he has "court ordered" visitation his mom has been taking our daughter for 4 hours a month. Now even if him and I have this agreement... would that cut off all visitations rights? Or can she go for something like grandparents rights?

Going through this is such a headache, but so worth it for my daughter.
Do you want to cut out grandma? Is that in your daughter's best interests?

NeedInfo85

Oh yes. My daughter has screamed, kicked, and faught not to go with her. Everytime she comes home she has a new mark on her body, if its from a scratch to a bruise, to even rug burn. When I ask her about it, she's just very quiet. I even reported the rug burn because I had no idea what had happened and no one was telling me anything. Somewhere along the line the detective that investigated it, never followed up with me. Never called me back, etc.

Everytime she goes there it's almost as if she's a completely different girl. She comes home rude, with an attitude, and just not herself.

I think the root of the problem is the Grandma. If that makes sense.

mommyof4

And thats where I'm stuck... because it is court ordered, can I be held in contempt if I didn't send her?
Well, is Dad picking her up? Does the court order state that Grandma will be exercising Dad's visitation in the event he cannot?

If the answers are no, then no, you could not be in contempt of the court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">