+ Reply to Thread
    swhitten is offline Junior Member

Signing temporary custody over to grandparents

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Myself and my kids moved to Arkansas from Indianapolis, Indiana where we were all born. Anyway I need to know how to go about giving temp. custody of my son, who is 13, to my parents who live in Indiana. He is getting in trouble here and out of control with school and at home. I am having trouble getten back to Indy to do anything with the courts there. But, I am woundering how to go about giving temp. custody to my parents without have to go there or them having to spend time here in Arkansas. We want to make this as simple as possible only because I work and have a hard time getting off of work to take care of something like this. I have thought about letting him go there with out going through courts but that will not work. They will need to get Health insurance for him and get him in school and going to the doctors and things. They can't do all those things without some kind of documetation from myself. Also his fater was served with papers stating that his perental rights have been revoked. Does he have any say so with my son?

Don't know what to do.What is the name of your state?
    LdiJ is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swhitten View Post

Myself and my kids moved to Arkansas from Indianapolis, Indiana where we were all born. Anyway I need to know how to go about giving temp. custody of my son, who is 13, to my parents who live in Indiana. He is getting in trouble here and out of control with school and at home. I am having trouble getten back to Indy to do anything with the courts there. But, I am woundering how to go about giving temp. custody to my parents without have to go there or them having to spend time here in Arkansas. We want to make this as simple as possible only because I work and have a hard time getting off of work to take care of something like this. I have thought about letting him go there with out going through courts but that will not work. They will need to get Health insurance for him and get him in school and going to the doctors and things. They can't do all those things without some kind of documetation from myself. Also his fater was served with papers stating that his perental rights have been revoked. Does he have any say so with my son?

Explain more clearly about the bolded part above. "served with papers" doesn't necessarily mean that his parental rights were actually terminated. What you can or cannot do depends on the father's status.

Take a big deep breath and explain things clearly.
    swhitten is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    Explain more clearly about the bolded part above. "served with papers" doesn't necessarily mean that his parental rights were actually terminated. What you can or cannot do depends on the father's status.

Take a big deep breath and explain things clearly.
    his father has not had contact with him in over 10 years and we were married, now divorced and he was ordered to pay support in 94 and never paid a dime. He does not have anything to do with his son. I filed papers along time ago to have his perental rights revoked but I have never received anything but was told by his sister that he received them
    his father has not had contact with him in over 10 years and we were married, now divorced and he was ordered to pay support in 94 and never paid a dime. He does not have anything to do with his son. I filed papers along time ago to have his perental rights revoked but I have never received anything but was told by his sister that he received them
    Again, that doesn't mean that his parental rights were revoked. You sound as though you served him a petition to terminate his parental rights, but there is no indication that you followed through on that and actually got a judge to sign off on the termination. Serving him papers doesn't make it so....a judge's order makes it so.

If his rights really were terminated, then you simply file a petition giving your parents temporary custody of your son, and you go in front of a judge to get it signed.

If his rights really were not terminated, then you will have to serve him with the petition as well, and he will have an opportunity to object.
    acmb05 is offline Senior Member

Limited Power of Attorney.

However you really need to get this situation with the father straightened out before you do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by acmb05 View Post
    Limited Power of Attorney.

However you really need to get this situation with the father straightened out before you do anything.
    A limited power of attorney won't get him health insurance. However, a private policy could be purchased. They aren't too expensive for young males.