• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single mothers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b-ballmom00

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am currently pregnant with a married mans child. We were both legally separated at the time and he went back to his wife after he found out about the pregnancy. I am concerned because through friends I have heard that they are going to try and fight me for custody of the child. I understand that to get child support he should be allowed visitation but not full custody. Should I be concerned with him fighting me for the baby or does he have that right?What is the name of your state?

NotSoNew

he can ask for custody if he wants. he will have to have a strong argument for it, but its certainly in his rights to ask for it.

Neal1421

b-ballmom00 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am currently pregnant with a married mans child. We were both legally separated at the time and he went back to his wife after he found out about the pregnancy. I am concerned because through friends I have heard that they are going to try and fight me for custody of the child. I understand that to get child support he should be allowed visitation but not full custody. Should I be concerned with him fighting me for the baby or does he have that right?What is the name of your state?
He will have to prove that you are unfit as a mother to get full custody, however he may be able to get joint custody.

momofrose

CHild Support and Visitation are 2 different issues. One can get child support without visitation bring ordered. That being said..there is no reason why he could not fight for custody, His rights are equal to yours.

You might want to try and work something out with him before getting legal papers in the mail.

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">