• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister Died / Back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tenelks

My sister died on May 15th. I am her brother and legal guardian of her two kids ages 14 and 16. I am also named as her personal representative in her will. Her will did not name an executor. The problem is, I received a child support check that had her name with a / and EST OF meaning estate of my sister. The first check I cashed because I thought it was a reissue of a check I had sent back. My bank allowed me to do this after I showed them a copy of the death certificate and her will and then signed her name and mine below it. I got another check in the mail today and after some phone calls was able to trace it down to back child support that was owed. It looks like I will receive about 15 more once a week all isued to my sisters estate. My question is do I have to go through all this hassle every time I cash one of these checks or can I just sign her name and mine and put it in the atm machine. I am more worried about the legal aspects than anything else. Even though it is to her estate, I am taking care of her two kids and could use the money for actuall child support since it could take a week or two more to get child support started with the kid's father. Also something else to consider. My sister basically did not have an estate that was worth anything, but she had an outstanding credit card bill about 1200.00 and an outstanding dental bill for 700.00. I live in Oregon if that is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">