• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister wants custody of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brownie_66

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My best friend has had to file kidnapping charges against her sister and brother in law. They have helped take care of the 4 yr old child since she was born. My friend had a car accident a year ago that caused severe damage to her arm. The sister used this for all it was worth and pretty much took the child home with her and would bring her to visit her mother when she wanted to. She has brainwashed this little girl into thinking her mother will hurt her. The 4 yr old is frightened and told her mother that they said she might hurt her. The mother would NEVER hurt her child and will have to prove that to her daughter once she gets her back. What she is concerned about is whether or not her sister will have visitation rights like a grandparent would have. Or can she keep her child away from these people once she gets her back? :confused:

Grace_Adler

If there isn't a court order giving her sister custody then she has absolutely no rights to her at all. She is kidnapping. Your friend needs to get the police involved and try to get her daughter back.

C

CRYROSE1

an answer

i would also have to agree it is kidnapping. and i would have to add i dont think she would have any vistation rights. just call they cops and go pick her up if no court order has been made fore custody or gardenship.

good luck

B

Brownie_66

Amazingly enough the sister brought Anna back today. Totally different attitude than all of the threats that went on last pm. Now of course my friend is scared to death that they are going to do something to make her look unfit (planting drugs on her)since they have realized that they can't just take her. The reason she is afraid of this is because she has heard them make this statement about someone else that they had a tiff with. We're talking ruthless people here but at least Anna is back where she belongs and K says she doesn't seem as nervous and upset. Thanks for the advice folks. :)

Grace_Adler

If she's worried about that she needs to stay away from her. I know that doesn't always work though because I've had someone stalk me and they did all kinds of crazy stuff to try and get me in trouble with the law even though I stayed away from them. I didn't take their phone calls or let them in my house but they still managed to do alot of stuff to me. She needs to be really careful.

The bad thing was, when I tried to go to the police about it, because I couldn't prove anything, they can't do anything. They wouldn't even investigate. They said it's my word against theirs. I said yeah, that's what I tried to tell you guys the two times you showed up at my doorstep. I wasn't doing anything illegal. I said so basically I have to wind up dead and maybe then you'll investigate my death. All they did was look down at the floor silently. I said "Well damn, no wonder so many people take the law into their own hands."

Last edited:
B

Brownie_66

Grace you are so right about "the nothing they can do" or will do is more like it. The sister has threatened NOW to call DHS(Department of HUman Services) if she doesnt get to see Anna. In this state to get an investigation from DHS you have to go through the Child Abuse Hotline; so there again they will have to make false accusations to even get that done. I told K, let her go ahead, let them send someone to investigate and they can see for themselves that everything is kosher. She is definitely a nervous wreck from all of this crap they're giving her but she is sticking to her guns. And like you said she is having NOTHING to do with them. When they call she just refuses to speak to them, which is the best thing I think she can do also. If anything new developes I'll let you know. Thanks for all the support too btw.

Grace_Adler

You're welcome. :)

I just thought of something else. I would check into the laws there and see if it only requires one party to know they are being recorded. If so, your friend should invest in an answering machine if she doesn't have one. That way, she can screen her calls. I would also get caller id and save her calls on it. I would invest in something to use to record conversations over the phone too. She can probably go to radio shack and find something. If she can afford a camcorder, I'd get one of those too in case she decides to come by the house and start something.

I wish you guys the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">