• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beckym916

What is the name of your state? Texas--My 4 year old son's father died recently and I am curious as to how the SS benefits are broken down. My son's father and I were never married, so I know that I am not entitled to any of the benefit, but he my son is. His father was recently married, but has no children from that marriage; however, she has 2 children from a previous marriage. My son's father has 2 children from a previous marriage. I assume that only the three children would be splitting the ss benefit, because the new wife is not raising his children. Is this correct, or would the new wife be entitled because she has two children of her own? Thanks for any clarification.

tigger22472

No, the new wife will not be intitled to SS benefits. You would need to talk to SS ... and if you and the other mother coudl get together it would be even better. Don't be so sure that you or the other mother won't be entitled to draw off that also. I'm not as sure on death benefits but I can tell you with SS disability once my husband and I were married a year MY children are able to draw off of it and I also receive a check for their care until my youngest is 16.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">