• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sole legal custody vs. joint legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sophiams

I'm a NY state resident. I have an 8 year old boy who's lived with me since birth which makes me the custodial parent. I was never married to his father, but his father has a good relationship with him, visits him on a sporadic basis, and has provided child support. I have now filed for sole legal and physical custody with visitation to continue, and his father has filed for joint legal custody. I don't agree with joint legal custody and I have been advised that he won't be granted joint custody unless it's mutually agreed upon. Could he turn around and file for sole legal and physical custody? If so, what are his chances of winning? Afterall, I have been the custodial parent since my son's birth and he has always been the visiting parent. I would hardly call myself an unfit mother. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">