• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some Friendly Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt. Drako

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Those of you seeking advice from here need to understand there are only a few attorneys on here. The others giving advice are not attorneys an what they do know of the laws in your state is their own experience or as I have seen a generalization of the "norm".

I have seen several posts from North Carolina, first and foremost, North Carolina Judges are very unpredictable. In one county a judge closed a neglected and abused child case giving the child back to it's parents only for the child to be found later tied to a tree and dead.

In another county a father was given custody of his son, the mother was a good mother and the father's girlfriend had beaten the child unconcious. Medics found the child that way, luckily he lived.

In another case a father had raised his daughter and when mom finally filed for custody after I believe 9 years, she was given custody of the girl and the Mother's boyfriend was a child sex offender.

In a most recent case slammed across the news, Zahara. Her father was given custody and now look, the child is dead cut into pieces.

There is no "Norm" for this state. In many counties the mother will win precedence over the father everytime. In others the father will a least get joint LEGAL, in others Dad get custody. 50/50 physical only happens in most counties when the parents live within the same county. Infants never have been and never will be put on a 50/50 physical, not even when the parents were married. Whoever was the PRIMARY caretaker during the marriage, gets the most time.

The counties that you really do not wish to push the judges patience, Forsyth, Wake, Davidson, Guilford, Alexander, Rowan, Randolph, Catawba, Anson, Allegheny, Guilford.

You DO NOT want to test ANY judge in ANY county here with supporting your children! If there is even 1 little shred of EVIDENCE that it is over money, hang your head, wave a white flag and PRAY that judge has mercy on you!

The state's courts are over run with parents being stupid and acting as if their children are their possesions and judges have had enough.

The state is also a required mediation state where the mediators can quickly become an evaluator and make recomendations to the judges. Make them mad and you might as well forget your case and walk home hanging your head. Even if you don't upset them, if the mediation breaksdown the difficult parent is made known to the judge. The one saying it's all about them and their rights.

To get anywhere in this state YOU NEED an Attorney!

The state is also pushing Collabrative custody and divorce and it would save a lot of money and time. Many attorneys offer it at a fraction of what a court battle will cost and the kids end up winning this way than in court. Parents also end up walking out better for it.

You also DO NOT want a judge to get to fed up with you both as they WILL appoint a Custody evaluator and make them mad, say bye bye custody.

In many counties, a judge will order co-parenting for BOTH, counseling for BOTH and the children. In a few cases judges have ordered limited visitation if a parent has a mental illness but is trying to get it under control. Controlled you are fine unless you have abused the child. Uncontrolled judges although against their better sides have been known to order psychiatric counseling and visitation inlue of starting and staying with the program, for those that are proven to have a mental disorder or disease and refuse to control it with counseling and or medication well chalk it up you're not getting squat.

Seriously people, you can not get enough CORRECT information on forums like this. There are different states and specialties here. Yes I have seen some great advice coming from the attorneys that are here. But those not kowledgable in law should not be handing out advice, this is why it is against the law for certain people to give legal advice and or attempt to practice law.

There is a knowledgable attorney here from Ohio, listen to that one as I've had experience in that state too. And she does know what she's saying.

Please I would enjoy the consideration of the members here in leaving the disrespectful comments away from this post as I have not named nor slammed anyone. Nor have I been disrespectful nor have I been ignorant in any way. I am here to let people know that they may be getting their hopes up or having them dashed for no reason, due to advice that is not correct or is slightly incorrect.
I would also like to point out that some of the disrespect that I have read on here borders or crosses the line of cyberbullying, so again I would request the consideration of keeping any disrespectful comments to yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Those of you seeking advice from here need to understand there are only a few attorneys on here. The others giving advice are not attorneys an what they do know of the laws in your state is their own experience or as I have seen a generalization of the "norm".

I have seen several posts from North Carolina, first and foremost, North Carolina Judges are very unpredictable. In one county a judge closed a neglected and abused child case giving the child back to it's parents only for the child to be found later tied to a tree and dead.

In another county a father was given custody of his son, the mother was a good mother and the father's girlfriend had beaten the child unconcious. Medics found the child that way, luckily he lived.

In another case a father had raised his daughter and when mom finally filed for custody after I believe 9 years, she was given custody of the girl and the Mother's boyfriend was a child sex offender.

In a most recent case slammed across the news, Zahara. Her father was given custody and now look, the child is dead cut into pieces.

There is no "Norm" for this state. In many counties the mother will win precedence over the father everytime. In others the father will a least get joint LEGAL, in others Dad get custody. 50/50 physical only happens in most counties when the parents live within the same county. Infants never have been and never will be put on a 50/50 physical, not even when the parents were married. Whoever was the PRIMARY caretaker during the marriage, gets the most time.

The counties that you really do not wish to push the judges patience, Forsyth, Wake, Davidson, Guilford, Alexander, Rowan, Randolph, Catawba, Anson, Allegheny, Guilford.

You DO NOT want to test ANY judge in ANY county here with supporting your children! If there is even 1 little shred of EVIDENCE that it is over money, hang your head, wave a white flag and PRAY that judge has mercy on you!

The state's courts are over run with parents being stupid and acting as if their children are their possesions and judges have had enough.

The state is also a required mediation state where the mediators can quickly become an evaluator and make recomendations to the judges. Make them mad and you might as well forget your case and walk home hanging your head. Even if you don't upset them, if the mediation breaksdown the difficult parent is made known to the judge. The one saying it's all about them and their rights.

The state is also pushing Collabrative custody and divorce and it would save a lot of money and time. Many attorneys offer it at a fraction of what a court battle will cost and the kids end up winning this way than in court. Parents also end up walking out better for it.

You also DO NOT want a judge to get to fed up with you both as they WILL appoint a Custody evaluator and make them mad, say bye bye custody.

In many counties, a judge will order co-parenting for BOTH, counseling for BOTH and the children. In a few cases judges have ordered limited visitation if a parent has a mental illness but is trying to get it under control. Controlled you are fine unless you have abused the child. Uncontrolled judges although against their better sides have been known to order psychiatric counseling and visitation inlue of starting and staying with the program, for those that are proven to have a mental disorder or disease and refuse to control it with counseling and or medication well chalk it up you're not getting squat.

Seriously people, you can not get enough CORRECT information on forums like this. There are different states and specialties here. Yes I have seen some great advice coming from the attorneys that are here. But those not kowledgable in law should not be handing out advice, this is why it is against the law for certain people to give legal advice and or attempt to practice law.

There is a knowledgable attorney here from Ohio, listen to that one as I've had experience in that state too. And she does know what she's saying.

Please I would enjoy the consideration of the members here in leaving the disrespectful comments away from this post as I have not named nor slammed anyone. Nor have I been disrespectful nor have I been ignorant in any way. I am here to let people know that they may be getting their hopes up or having them dashed for no reason, due to advice that is not correct or is slightly incorrect.
I would also like to point out that some of the disrespect that I have read on here borders or crosses the line of cyberbullying, so again I would request the consideration of keeping any disrespectful comments to yourself.
Thank you for your information, as I am located in NC. If I may ask, where does YOUR information come from?

You certainly echo what my attorney said, on some levels, and that is the judges here are unpredictable. I have been given "advice" about our judge being a no non-sense, no BS judge who will tell you to sit down and shut up...and know how she would "usually" rule in a case like mine, but there really is no predictability.

I really am curious as to where your information with the NC legal system comes from...

ETA: I have not been to mediation yet, but was told mediation in NC is confidential and anything said within mediation is not given to the judge. How does the mediator make a recommendation to the judge under those conditions?

Proserpina

Ah.

You previously registered and were told something you didn't want to hear.

We understand.

I STRONGLY suggest that people actually read the TOS.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Thank you for your information, as I am located in NC. If I may ask, where does YOUR information come from?

You certainly echo what my attorney said, on some levels, and that is the judges here are unpredictable. I have been given "advice" about our judge being a no non-sense, no BS judge who will tell you to sit down and shut up...and know how she would "usually" rule in a case like mine, but there really is no predictability.

I really am curious as to where your information with the NC legal system comes from...
Since only the actual attorney's have the RIGHT here to claim that they are attorney's... I wonder why OP felt it necessary to post that we aren't attorney's... :rolleyes:

If I just may point out, a NC judge had NOTHING to do with Zahra Baker. her mother had postpartum depression and RELINQUISHED custody to her Father when she was 8 months old, in Australia. Her mother attempted to locate her, but was unsuccessful. She had never been in the US or NC court systems.

I can't speak to the accuracy of any of your other information but I did want to correct that fact.

You may look at the IP as you please, as certain computers in certain places have IP's that are not correct. Meaning it is protected.

Thank You
And you know all this information because??

I guess my point is, if you want YOUR information to be taken seriously for the state of NC, shouldn't you tell us why we should believe what you say? Eh??

Lt. Drako

If I just may point out, a NC judge had NOTHING to do with Zahra Baker. her mother had postpartum depression and RELINQUISHED custody to her Father when she was 8 months old, in Australia. Her mother attempted to locate her, but was unsuccessful. She had never been in the US or NC court systems.

I can't speak to the accuracy of any of your other information but I did want to correct that fact.
Believe my post or not that is your choice, bu the school system had reported the step-mother to DSS

Lt. Drako

And you know all this information because??

I guess my point is, if you want YOUR information to be taken seriously for the state of NC, shouldn't you tell us why we should believe what you say? Eh??
Talk to your attorney, ask your attorney about North Carolina some more and ask how she feels about this forum and recieving advice. That is my main point.

Believe my post or not that is your choice, bu the school system had reported the step-mother to DSS
Ok...being reported to DSS has nothing to do with a court granting her Father custody vs. her Mother relinquishing custody. Many people are reported to DSS - and unless the child is visibly malnourished, living in squalid conditions or has obvious CURRENT signs of physical abuse (bruises that coulnd't be accidents, broken bones, burns, sexual abuse, etc) they do not have the resources. Sad? Of course. Wrong? Yup, that too.

BUT it doesn't mean the court gave her Father custody, and unless she was removed from the home, the DSS case never would have gone before a judge.

Proserpina

Talk to your attorney, ask your attorney about North Carolina some more and ask how she feels about this forum and recieving advice. That is my main point.

No, your point is that you have some sort of agenda that you want to share with the rest of the forum.

If you're going to do that, at least have the integrity to be honest and actually say that up front...and at the same time, have the balls to share your other identity.

Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">