• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son is a ward of the State of California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smokalicioustox

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?II live in AZ, my son is in a residential Behavior health Center, in Los Gatos, CA called EMQ (Court Ordered). It all started 2 years ago when I sent my son to live with his Dad. I needed to get help for a drug problem that I had. After my Son had been there almost a year, out of the blue his Dad takes him to CPS and basically left my 12 year old Son to them the day before his B-Day...
I wonder why he didn't just send him back home to me? Now his father is MIA and I have been having severe problems with the State of CA, as far as getting him home. In Dec. of 2004 I went to court hearing about his fathers parental rights... they were temp. terminated (cancellation of reunification services) and we ( the courts, social worker, judge) all agreed that my Son would return home on June 9th 2005 , But I can't get anyone to call me back to make sure this is still on schedule.
They have done the full background check on me etc. but they still won't give him back to me. It's been almost a year and nobody has been able to help me.
I haven't gotten a returned call or anything in the mail from the Social Worker...
I also feel that my Constitutional Rights may have been violated.
The 14th amendment that says a parent has a right to "BE" with their Children unless the parent has been convicted of a crime of Neglect or Abuse. Which is not the case here...

HELP ME PLEASE, my son is thinking about running away from there to get home to me, I can't let that happen!

What should I do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If I were you, I'd be looking at (at the very least) speaking with an attorney in CA used to dealing with CPS. I suspect that they're going to make you jump through more hoops before they allow you to have your son back.

rmet4nzkx

It sounds like we are not getting the whole picture here.
Approximately 2 years ago you relinquished custody to the father because of your drug problem.
Then his dad relinquished custody of your son, and rather than placing him in foster care, apparnetly your son has serious enough behavioral problems that he is court ordered residential care.
You went to court 5-6 months ago and there is some sort of a date to return custody, you think, but you ahve not heard back from anyone.
Now your son, who doesn't like it where he is, possibly because he still has behavioral problems, wants to run away so he can return to you without the court returning him to you.
Do you see what is wrong with this picture?
Contact CPS in Santa Clara County or see if a Guardian ad Litem can be appointed for your child, but if your child is incorrigible, then a recovering drug addict doesn't need the stress that reunification would be, because he is just looking to walk all over you and continue his inappropriate behavior.

Ron1347

smokalicioustox said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?II live in AZ, my son is in a residential Behavior health Center, in Los Gatos, CA called EMQ (Court Ordered). It all started 2 years ago when I sent my son to live with his Dad. I needed to get help for a drug problem that I had. After my Son had been there almost a year, out of the blue his Dad takes him to CPS and basically left my 12 year old Son to them the day before his B-Day...
I wonder why he didn't just send him back home to me? Now his father is MIA and I have been having severe problems with the State of CA, as far as getting him home. In Dec. of 2004 I went to court hearing about his fathers parental rights... they were temp. terminated (cancellation of reunification services) and we ( the courts, social worker, judge) all agreed that my Son would return home on June 9th 2005 , But I can't get anyone to call me back to make sure this is still on schedule.
They have done the full background check on me etc. but they still won't give him back to me. It's been almost a year and nobody has been able to help me.
I haven't gotten a returned call or anything in the mail from the Social Worker...
I also feel that my Constitutional Rights may have been violated.
The 14th amendment that says a parent has a right to "BE" with their Children unless the parent has been convicted of a crime of Neglect or Abuse. Which is not the case here...

HELP ME PLEASE, my son is thinking about running away from there to get home to me, I can't let that happen!

What should I do?
But...But...It isn't June 9, 2005 yet, either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">