• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sorry so long. Just needing some input on custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nervous729

I have been married to my husband for 5 years now. He has 3 children from a previous marriage. During that marriage he signed custody over to his mother while he was in a bad place in his life and the mother of the children had the kids taken away several times. The last two because they were born addicted to Meth. The grandmother had custody for 6 years. When me and my husband got together she signed everything back over to him once things were stable with us because he was an over the road truck driver and we got into a house and everything. During this time frame the mother never paid child support, she has personally stalked us and we have had a protection order for her twice, she was in prison for credit card theft for 2 years and she also stole my husbands SSN and her boyfriend used his name and racked up $26K in debt under his name. She use to be able to call the kids, but the youngest two have never really gotten close with her or had any relationship for that matter. SO when we did allow the calls the youngest got to where they didn't want to talk to her anymore. My husband stopped the phone calls because she was more concerned with where we lived at and what we did than her children. She would constantly try to call the police out to my mothers house to start crap (she doesn't know our address because of the things she would try to do.) She has been on and off of drugs for as long as we have been together. IN and out of jail and didn't get a job until about a month ago at the local diner. In the custody papers she is nowhere in them at all because she didn't have custody to begin with. Our lawyer told us that she would have to file for her rights or visitations and that under my husbands discretion he could allow phone calls and visits or whatever. She has threatened a million times she is going for custody back and I have cried so much in the past worried over if they would give it back to her. It's more for the safety of the children. She has had them taken away 8 years ago because the middle child at 1 got out of the house and walked about a mile down the road and someone found him and took him to the police station. My husband told her that if she would take a hair follicle drug test he would allow supervised visits somewhere and I agreed to be the person that sat with them. She refused. She would tell the oldest she did her drug test and we just wouldn't allow her to see him. Now it would get me upset because she has seen them probably 4 times when the grandmother had custody and we allowed it twice when we first got them. She has promised them thins for years such as presents and they have never seen a single thing. I have heard from her family that she is now clean of Meth, but still smoking marijuana and that she is working again. I have also heard for the millionth time she is seeing a lawyer. This time might be the time she is telling the truth. What I am worried about is will they really take the kids out of here and back with her after 9 years of not even being a parent? Since the youngest two don't even know her if she gets visitation rights will they MAKE them go with her if they don't want to go? I know every case is different, but I just want someone's input. The youngest child is 9 and I have watched her cry herself to sleep worrying if she was going to have to go with her because she's overheard family talking. I think the situation could be wonderful for the oldest because he has some serious abandonment issues and so much anger and hurt dealing with this his whole life. The problem is she isn't concerned with how he is doing. It's more about what he can do for her. What she can get out of him. How she can hurt my husband seems to be the highest concern. I apologize that this is so long, but I felt like I needed to explain the back story a little bit. The last time they talked on the phone was roughly a year and a half ago. She has called up to the oldest child's school acting like someone else to talk to him and then ended up showing up in the bus yard trying to make contact with him which is scary. Any advice would be appreciated, but the main questions are what do you think a judge would do? We live in Georgia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">