• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spoke with legal expert on marrying a sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gum_Drop

the title doesnt care what the charge is. Her children could suffer the consequences of their step dad. As some else has stated and what i have seen first hand, children and other PARENTS can be cruel to a child that has a Sex offender for a step dad.

Proserpina

the title doesnt care what the charge is. Her children could suffer the consequences of their step dad. As some else has stated and what i have seen first hand, children and other PARENTS can be cruel to a child that has a Sex offender for a step dad.

If Mom marries him and keeps custody = kids still get teased.

If Mom marries him and loses custody = kids still get teased.

It's a bad deal all around - but the question wasn't about the kids. It was about Dad and what he might be able to do about it.

cyjeff

Agreed.

There's a lot of emotion in this thread which frankly doesn't belong. At least not just yet.

There is a HUGE difference between your example misto, and a guy who has 6 felonies for aggravated sexual assault.

So without knowing, all we can really say is what I said earlier: depending on the nature of the offense, it could well be grounds for Dad to request custody.
I was mostly twisted about mom trying to play games in such a way where dad would just have to accept the living arrangement she wants to make.

I will also say that I reacted the way I did simply BECAUSE mom seems willing to go to great lengths to keep dad uninformed about our SO friend... so that seems very suspicious.

Proserpina

I was mostly twisted about mom trying to play games in such a way where dad would just have to accept the living arrangement she wants to make.

I will also say that I reacted the way I did simply BECAUSE mom seems willing to go to great lengths to keep dad uninformed about our SO friend... so that seems very suspicious.

Oh don't get me wrong! I think it's deplorable that Mom is seemingly trying to twist and turn everything in order to keep Dad in the dark until it's "too late" in her eyes.

(And of course, she's absolutely wrong on that part!)

Mom has a shock coming to her, either way.

cry4me

I live in Texas, and I spoke with a legal expert that stated since I have the father of my kids on child support, that as long as I follow guidelines of marrying or living with a sex offender, that there is nothing the father can do if he is notified within the time frame of living arrangements or marriage. I want to get a second opinion just because.

So basically, it stated that if I am to marry my boyfriend who is considered a sex offender and is registered, i have to notify their father no later than the 10th day of marriage so he is aware. He also stated that he cannot do anything (the father) since i followed procedure through our custody paper.
Am I the only one that suspects this is actually Dad posting as Mom?:eek:

jessicarodrigue

The father does know of the circumstances with my right now boyfriend. I didn't talk to some online legal expert, and no he wasn't an advocate of sex offenders. It was in person, all things were laid on the table from the beginning.

My boyfriend at the time was 16 the girl was 13.. he basically witnessed the rape and by the time he got home the cops seen him walking so being a young black male (in our area) he got arrested. The girl at the time even stated that my boyfriend didn't do anything.. but that was after the fact that they were charging him. The charge was indency with a child by exposure.

My kids love him dearly, and I won't say that they will "get over it". Yes I do know that it is possible that the kids will be teased about the issue, but that is when strong parenting comes into place and talking. I could care less about kids parents.. I believe if you are that concerned, be willing to ask any questions you want.. He as well as I have nothing to hide.

OHRoadwarrior

My boyfriend at the time was 16 the girl was 13.. he basically witnessed the rape and by the time he got home the cops seen him walking so being a young black male (in our area) he got arrested. The girl at the time even stated that my boyfriend didn't do anything.. but that was after the fact that they were charging him. The charge was indency with a child by exposure.
First off mom, no male would hang out to watch a rape, then walk home like nothing happened unless he was complicit. Second, have you talked to the girl personally or is this the line he has fed you? You really need to set the facts you are presenting here in front of someone you know and trust personally, that is intelligent and impartial, for evaluation. This story stinks to high heaven, unless you choose to believe it blindly. It may be one of your kids he is after next, while you are at work.

dannyt

no

I live in Texas, and I spoke with a legal expert that stated since I have the father of my kids on child support, that as long as I follow guidelines of marrying or living with a sex offender, that there is nothing the father can do if he is notified within the time frame of living arrangements or marriage. I want to get a second opinion just because.

So basically, it stated that if I am to marry my boyfriend who is considered a sex offender and is registered, i have to notify their father no later than the 10th day of marriage so he is aware. He also stated that he cannot do anything (the father) since i followed procedure through our custody paper.
so what are you gonna do when this guy abuses YOUR children? this guy is not allowed to be around children.period. or anywhere where children congregate such as a playground school or daycare. who is more important your children or your current bed warmer who is a regestired sex offender? if you marry this guy expect dad to win custody.

mistoffolees

First off mom, no male would hang out to watch a rape, then walk home like nothing happened unless he was complicit. Second, have you talked to the girl personally or is this the line he has fed you? You really need to set the facts you are presenting here in front of someone you know and trust personally, that is intelligent and impartial, for evaluation. This story stinks to high heaven, unless you choose to believe it blindly. It may be one of your kids he is after next, while you are at work.
Yes, but playing the race card was a clever touch.

I agree - the story sounds funny. But even if true, I would not want my daughter to be around him. At 16, he was old enough to do something more than just stand around and watch. He could have interfered, or if that was too dangerous, could have run for help. If he could stand by and watch a 13 year old get raped, there's no way I'd trust him to protect my child.

mariasusa

The father does know of the circumstances with my right now boyfriend. I didn't talk to some online legal expert, and no he wasn't an advocate of sex offenders. It was in person, all things were laid on the table from the beginning.

My kids love him dearly, and I won't say that they will "get over it". Yes I do know that it is possible that the kids will be teased about the issue, but that is when strong parenting comes into place and talking. I could care less about kids parents.. I believe if you are that concerned, be willing to ask any questions you want.. He as well as I have nothing to hide.
How did he get charged with indecency with a child by exposure? What did HE expose? He was charged with something more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I agree...you need to get accurate information about these charges/what happened. Have you gone and looked at the court record?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">