+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jessicarodrigue is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb spoke with legal expert on marrying a sex offender

I live in Texas, and I spoke with a legal expert that stated since I have the father of my kids on child support, that as long as I follow guidelines of marrying or living with a sex offender, that there is nothing the father can do if he is notified within the time frame of living arrangements or marriage. I want to get a second opinion just because.

So basically, it stated that if I am to marry my boyfriend who is considered a sex offender and is registered, i have to notify their father no later than the 10th day of marriage so he is aware. He also stated that he cannot do anything (the father) since i followed procedure through our custody paper.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicarodrigue View Post
    I live in Texas, and I spoke with a legal expert that stated since I have the father of my kids on child support, that as long as I follow guidelines of marrying or living with a sex offender, that there is nothing the father can do if he is notified within the time frame of living arrangements or marriage. I want to get a second opinion just because.

So basically, it stated that if I am to marry my boyfriend who is considered a sex offender and is registered, i have to notify their father no later than the 10th day of marriage so he is aware. He also stated that he cannot do anything (the father) since i followed procedure through our custody paper.
    So you want some people from online to tell you that marrying a sex offender and bringing him into your home with your child/ren is a good idea?

Good luck with that.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member

I don't know who you spoke to, but depending on the nature of the offense/s this could absolutely constitute a change of circumstance which could lead up to Dad getting custody.

Dad has every right to object.
    OHRoadwarrior is offline Senior Member
    Do you know if the "Legal Expert" was a sex offender? An advocate for sex offenders?
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University

What was this man convicted of?
    Gum_Drop is offline Member
    Something else you might want to consider.

Your Boyfriend will be on the sex offender list for a LONG time. Do you want that STIGMA to follow and effect your children?

I have a close friend who is dealing with that now.

Her husband was convicted of a Romeo/Juliet thing, and her children are feeling the BRUNT of her husbands indiscretions.

HER children are the ones being teased about what their step father did.
    HER children are the ones that are NEVER invited to friends houses.
    HER children are the ones that never have friends over.
    HER children are the ones that are PAYING for HER choices of a man.

SO think long and hard about what YOU are about to put your children though. It will NOT be just your boyfriend that will have to live the life of a sex offender.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Why on earth would you want to bring that into your children's lives? That's just.... stupid. Sorry - but it is.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum_Drop View Post
    Something else you might want to consider.

Your Boyfriend will be on the sex offender list for a LONG time. Do you want that STIGMA to follow and effect your children?

I have a close friend who is dealing with that now.

Her husband was convicted of a Romeo/Juliet thing, and her children are feeling the BRUNT of her husbands indiscretions.

HER children are the ones being teased about what their step father did.
    HER children are the ones that are NEVER invited to friends houses.
    HER children are the ones that never have friends over.
    HER children are the ones that are PAYING for HER choices of a man.

SO think long and hard about what YOU are about to put your children though. It will NOT be just your boyfriend that will have to live the life of a sex offender.
    But she luuuuuuvvvvvvveeeeesssss him.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    I nominate this thread for this week's Klassy Award.

cyjeff is offline Senior Member
    OP, you need to research threads on this site about the hassles...

When the school won't let your sex offender hubby on campus for shows or graduation....

Won't that be fun?

Have you already let DAD know that you have introduced a sex offender into the children's lives or are you just going to spring it on him after you are married in the hopes he can't do anything about it?

Your legal expert is not correct... this could and should cost you custody.... not just because your love bunny is a sexual offender but because you are doing everything you can to prevent the father of the children from being informed in time to do anything.

Yeah, it sucks when you can't game the system...
    CSO286 is offline Senior Member

Heres the thing....either of you are required to notify the other of such major changes within ten days of said change occurring. You marrying a registered sex offender and moving him into your family home would constitute a significant change in circumstances....thereby giving your ex grounds to petition for custody.....

And he absolutely has the right to do so.
    Artemis_ofthe_Hunt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyjeff View Post
    OP, you need to research threads on this site about the hassles...

When the school won't let your sex offender hubby on campus for shows or graduation....

Won't that be fun?

Have you already let DAD know that you have introduced a sex offender into the children's lives or are you just going to spring it on him after you are married in the hopes he can't do anything about it?

Your legal expert is not correct... this could and should cost you custody.... not just because your love bunny is a sexual offender but because you are doing everything you can to prevent the father of the children from being informed in time to do anything.

Yeah, it sucks when you can't game the system...
    This whole thread makes me sick. Here you have mom thumbing her nose at the ex, who is not a sex offender (at least not yet ) or an abuser, AT THE DETRIMENT OF THE CHILDREN. OP, if you love the children at ALL, give custody of the children to their father and walk away if you want to marry this "man"... This could/would RUIN your children... and please, don't tell me that you think they'd "get over it"... children are curel and repeat EVERYTHING they hear.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member

Yeah. FPOS.
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis_ofthe_Hunt View Post
    This whole thread makes me sick. Here you have mom thumbing her nose at the ex, who is not a sex offender (at least not yet ) or an abuser, AT THE DETRIMENT OF THE CHILDREN. OP, if you love the children at ALL, give custody of the children to their father and walk away if you want to marry this "man"... This could/would RUIN your children... and please, don't tell me that you think they'd "get over it"... children are curel and repeat EVERYTHING they hear.
    I think it depends on the circumstances. For example, what about the guy who was a few days past his 18th birthday and GF was a few days before hers. Technically, he's a sex offender in many states, but I don't see it as something that is any danger to the kids.

So, again, what was he charged with?
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistoffolees View Post
    I think it depends on the circumstances. For example, what about the guy who was a few days past his 18th birthday and GF was a few days before hers. Technically, he's a sex offender in many states, but I don't see it as something that is any danger to the kids.

So, again, what was he charged with?

Agreed.

There's a lot of emotion in this thread which frankly doesn't belong. At least not just yet.

There is a HUGE difference between your example misto, and a guy who has 6 felonies for aggravated sexual assault.

So without knowing, all we can really say is what I said earlier: depending on the nature of the offense, it could well be grounds for Dad to request custody.