• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Visitation Guideline Schedule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TommyTre

I am wondering where would I obtain a Visitation Guideline Schedule for Michigan. My ex wants to spend the summer with her new BF and it is 3 1/2 hours away. She feels I should meet her halfway to pick up the kids for my weekends. Can she do that?

S

smh33

Do you have a current custody order in place....how does it address transportation, if at all? Who has custody (primary) and how do you 2 handle pick up/drop off normally?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TommyTre said:
I am wondering where would I obtain a Visitation Guideline Schedule for Michigan. My ex wants to spend the summer with her new BF and it is 3 1/2 hours away. She feels I should meet her halfway to pick up the kids for my weekends. Can she do that?
My response:

There is no such thing as a "Visitation Guideline." Visitation is based upon individual circumstances of the parties, and what the judge feels is in "the best interests of the child."

If the parties can agree on a proper, and detailed schedule, then after a judge reviews the same, and it meets the "best interests" test, a judge will incorporate the agreement into the final orders.

If the parties cannot agree, the judge will make his/her own decision as to how "the best interests" of the child will be served in terms of visitation.

IAAL

VeronicaGia

It does not appear she is "moving" but this may help. Michigan law info:
D. Amendments to Statutes Relating to the Support and Parenting Time Act

2000 PA 422 adds MCL 722.31. This act took effect January 9, 200l.

The act establishes that, where there is joint legal custody, the legal residence of a child whose parental custody is governed by court order is with each parent. A parent cannot change a legal residence of such a child by more than 100 miles unless by court order or consent of the other parent. Exceptions are made where the child's two residences were already more than 100 miles apart or were moved closer by the change. The act lists factors for the court to consider before approving a change of residence over 100 miles. The act makes an exception for a change of residence to protect from a threat of domestic violence.

The act requires that any order determining or modifying custody or parenting time either state the parties' agreement on how a change will be handled or state: "A parent whose custody or parenting time of a child is governed by this order shall not change the legal residence of the child except in compliance with section 11 of the 'Child Custody Act of 1970,' 1970 PA 91, MCL 722.31."

2000 PA 442 amends MCL 552.631 and MCL 552.632. This act took effect April 1, 2001.

Find more about MI family law at:
http://www.icle.org/sections/family/index.htm

or go to the state law resource center on this board

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">