• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Status Conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meribeth

What is the name of your stateFl

I got an email from attorney today. It said that there was going to be a status conference between the attorneys and the judge only for my ex's motion to allow testimony of a minor child.
The child is 11 and her counselor wrote a statement stating that it was his professional opionion that it would be detrimental to her.
I have never heard of a status conference before, and was wondering what its all about.
Thank you!!!

meribeth

thank you OG...
I was gonna edit my post and explain that my attorney is out until Monday....and that is when the status conference is....

profmum

At a status conference the attny's will present the need for the child to testify/not testify to the judge for him /her to make a decision or the judge may decide he needs more evidence/have a hearing to decide if the child can testify, anything is possible. In general, no major rulings are made at a status conference. They are an efficient way to get things done/clarified by the judge sometimes in and in a timely manner. I have had several of these and in my case, another direction on a motion was given (nothing major was ruled).

meribeth

hi there profmum

I think I am going a little nutzo here.....I have not heard from my attorney after the status conference hearing, but I did here form my ex.

He states that the judge has decided to speak with our daughter the day before she "was suppose to come home"!!!

He is saying that she is gonna tell him all about me abusing her....I went through a whole ordeal last summer....it was awful....everything was unfounded....

I was under the distict impression from my attorneys office that no major decisions get made a these things.

What confuses me more is that why would a judge wait to speak with our daughter until the day before she is to return to me. Especially in light of the fact that DCF said last summer the children appeared to be coached by DAD.....Wouldn't you think he would want to see her ASAP and not give Dad another month to put crap in her head? If this is true the kids will have been there for 2 months before the judge speaks with her?!?!?!

Im sorry this is coming out more like a rant....I am soooooo fustrated....once again he has cut off contact with the kids....

profmum

hi there profmum

I think I am going a little nutzo here.....I have not heard from my attorney after the status conference hearing, but I did here form my ex.

You need a more responsive attorney!

He states that the judge has decided to speak with our daughter the day before she "was suppose to come home"!!!

ok.. seems fair

He is saying that she is gonna tell him all about me abusing her....I went through a whole ordeal last summer....it was awful....everything was unfounded....

and will be unfounded again with a pissed off judge

I was under the distict impression from my attorneys office that no major decisions get made a these things.

It is not a major decision, he is merely deciding whether or not to allow kiddo to testify after talking with her.

What confuses me more is that why would a judge wait to speak with our daughter until the day before she is to return to me. Especially in light of the fact that DCF said last summer the children appeared to be coached by DAD.....Wouldn't you think he would want to see her ASAP and not give Dad another month to put crap in her head? If this is true the kids will have been there for 2 months before the judge speaks with her?!?!?!

Judges can decide anything they want, and yes a good judge will consider the recommendations made by DCF

Im sorry this is coming out more like a rant....I am soooooo fustrated....once again he has cut off contact with the kids....

That is unacceptable

meribeth

Update

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=372567

ok,

I heard from my attorney. What my ex was saying was a complete and utter LIE.....I am surprised that he would lie about something that he knows I can eventually find out about.

The attorneys didn't even meet with the judge. They met with the assistant. The only thing that was set was a hearing for the motion of contempt....for him STILL not paying child support. He did however pay a payment AFTER the motion for contempt was set for hearing.....not sure how that will play out now that he paid, but it hacks me off that he only does it after I file and its set for hearing.....

Contact has still been cut with the kids....the only thing I have is an email stating that the kids hate me, are gonna testify against me, and that they are dreaming I am gonna kill them....

The judge explicitly ordered him not to engage in this behavior.

Well I sent the email over to my attorney who called me this morning. She emailed me an Affidavit told me to print it out, get it notarized, and overnight it. The Affidavit was an exparte to pick up the kids.

The kids went through HELL last summer...I filed for supervised visitation but the judge felt he deserved another chance....

I CANNOT believe he is doing this again.....

Frankly, I am not really thinking that the judge will grant the exparte...but my attorney felt strongly about doing this and acting quickly.

Thanks for everyones input

meribeth

Anxious

OK-
Well the judge would not sign the ex parte order to pick up the kids unless he had a hearing on it. I kind of figured that would happen since it is such a crazy case.

He said that he would recommend that an "Order to Show Cause" for the children should be filed as well.....

My attorney was not sure if he would want to speak with the children our not.....she told me it had to be my call if I wanted to set it for a hearing. She said if I did it would be heard within 5 days.

She like myself is concerned about my daughters state of mind. Her Dad had her write a letter to the judge saying that "I looked up emotional abuse on my dad's computer and I beleive my mom is emotionally abusing me...." She is 11 now. I am like GOOD GRIEF how can oyu prove that tour not if the Father has the kids saying it....

I am exhausted with this....they leave here and are perfectly fine, happy and healthy. They have full physicals before they go and are honor roll students. They go there and suddenly he has them saying I abuse them, and they have all these medical problems....

He of course now is letting some communications between the kids and I . I do not bring up ANYTHING at all to them...not the letter she wrote....nothing....just talk about everyday stuff.....and frankly they seem ok....not like they are mad or anything....when I say "I love and miss you"...they say it back.....I am soooo confused.

Well I did make the decison to set it gor hearing.....I kind of feel like I don't have a choice...I just cannot sit back and allow hin to alienate the children from me year after year!!! So we have a hearing on Wednesday.....have no idea what is gonna happen....guess we will see.

Thanks so much!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">