• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitation on Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CamCam27

What is the name of your state? KY
I gave birth to my child 1/18/97 and at that time I informed a man that he was not the father based on the information provided to me by my doctor. Unfortunately this man did not believe me but left it alone. Now, 9 years later, he has gotten in contact with me demanding a paternity test because he feels that my child is his. This would not be a bad thing had we not went on with our lives. The father for 9 years did not wish to have a paternity test and has never doubted my child - he signed the birth certificate and court documents for child support - my child has his name. Now that all the background information is laid out, my question is do I have to give this man a paternity test? Can I just tell him to leave us alone....? I don't want anything from him...he came looking for me.

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

CamCam27 said:
What is the name of your state? KY
I gave birth to my child 1/18/97 and at that time I informed a man that he was not the father based on the information provided to me by my doctor. Unfortunately this man did not believe me but left it alone. Now, 9 years later, he has gotten in contact with me demanding a paternity test because he feels that my child is his. This would not be a bad thing had we not went on with our lives. The father for 9 years did not wish to have a paternity test and has never doubted my child - he signed the birth certificate and court documents for child support - my child has his name. Now that all the background information is laid out, my question is do I have to give this man a paternity test? Can I just tell him to leave us alone....? I don't want anything from him...he came looking for me.

My response:

You don't have to do anything until a judge says you do. So, let him figure out what he needs to do to obtain a DNA test; but, in the meantime, tell him to bite rocks and go away.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">