• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-mom rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlifelady

:confused:What is the name of your state? wv

I'm just wondering if step parents have any rights. When my 17 year old step son brings home papers from school or sign ups for sports, can I sign them? Am I considered a parent or legal guardian? The 17 year old lives with my husband and I and he has custody of him.What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
:confused:What is the name of your state? wv

I'm just wondering if step parents have any rights. When my 17 year old step son brings home papers from school or sign ups for sports, can I sign them? Am I considered a parent or legal guardian? The 17 year old lives with my husband and I and he has custody of him.What is the name of your state?
From a legal standpoint, a "Step-Parent" has no inherent rights as you describe. However, your husband *may* be able to sign a power of attorney giving you the right to act on his behalf.

TinkerBelleLuvr

You have NO legal rights to this child. It should be the parent signing your child up for sports - liability view point there. The parent should be the ONLY ones signing permission slips, because they are the only ones who can sign away the rights that exist on those slips.

haiku

you are neither parent nor a legal guardian.

I don't think this is a hill worth dying on....save the papers for dad to sign, its that simple...

StampGirl

If the mom finds out, you could be in a world of trouble. Not an issue I'd be willing to gamble with. Save them for Dad.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ya know... this question is asked at LEAST 10 times a week. Is it truly THAT difficult to search previous posts? Then you'll wonder why Sr posters get annoyed.

Quite frankly, you are no one to this child besides his father's wife. Get over it.

Zigner

Easy everyone. While I agree that this question IS frequently asked, THIS particular poster did not come in here with an attitude of entitlement. Quite the contrary, she simply asked *if* she has any rights. We do not know her full situation. Think about it, would your answers be the same if the child's mother had passed on and the father remarried? I think not.

Now, we should wait to see what the OP comes back with before making further assumptions.

TinkerBelleLuvr

OP - probably the only piece of paper that could possibly be signed by you is one that says, I've seen sweeties homework - MAYBE.

My daughter's planner has to be signed daily by an ADULT. I personally don't care WHO signs it. If dad and GF lived closer, I personally wounldn't have an issue if it was a GF or babysitter who signed it. But, NOT every mother feels that way. I expect the ADULT who signs the planner to make sure that whatever message that is in the planner to be conveyed to all respective parties.

Stepparents have NO rights, so tread carefully.

haiku

Easy everyone. While I agree that this question IS frequently asked, THIS particular poster did not come in here with an attitude of entitlement. Quite the contrary, she simply asked *if* she has any rights. We do not know her full situation. Think about it, would your answers be the same if the child's mother had passed on and the father remarried? I think not.

Now, we should wait to see what the OP comes back with before making further assumptions.
the question CAN easily be answered by searching here..

and even if mom is dead, the answer remains the same.

Zigner

the question CAN easily be answered by searching here..

and even if mom is dead, the answer remains the same.
No, as I stated, the father can sign a POA authorizing step-mom to do certain things. If mom is dead, then there is NO-ONE to challenge that.

Yes, the question can easily be answered through a search :)

haiku

No, as I stated, the father can sign a POA authorizing step-mom to do certain things. If mom is dead, then there is NO-ONE to challenge that.

Yes, the question can easily be answered through a search :)
In most situations, a POA is not at all neccesary for a step parent who lives with thier steps. There are not many situations that require such a thing, and a permission slip is definitely low on the importance list...

If mom is dead, the step parent still has as much legal right as the neighbor does.

Zigner

In most situations, a POA is not at all neccesary for a step parent who lives with thier steps. There are not many situations that require such a thing, and a permission slip is definitely low on the importance list...

If mom is dead, the step parent still has as much legal right as the neighbor does.

While your statement is true, if Dad were to sign a POA authorizing the neighbor to make medical, educational and other day-to-day decisions for his child, then the neighbor could do that. Same goes for the Step.
(As an FYI, I have done this for my child to live with my parents. They were able to enroll him in school and authorize medical care without a problem.)
(As a further FYI, my wife, stepmom to my kids, also has a POA for said decisions)

VeronicaLodge

Ya know... this question is asked at LEAST 10 times a week. Is it truly THAT difficult to search previous posts? Then you'll wonder why Sr posters get annoyed.

Quite frankly, you are no one to this child besides his father's wife. Get over it.
she didn't at all sound like she needed to get over anything, she didnt know the law about it and asked, she got answers, and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">