• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent.. Guardian?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

breese

What is the name of your state?
Oregon

Is a step-parent a legal guardian? I just read a post about how step-parents should not sign things for their spouses children, and I'm a bit perplexed.

I'm a step-mom (we call me Extra Mom) and I have been one for almost 3 years now. The mother doesn't involve herself with school, homework, extra-curricular activities, or even doctor's visits. Typically, I do these things. Mother also lives and works far from their school, and never picks them up or takes them there. I volunteer at the school and do field trips with their classes.

Now, given the involvement level, am I really not supposed to sign homework papers, report cards, permission slips, etc. Am I not legally qualified to do this? I really don't want to screw anything up, and I figure that I ought to know this anyway, for any other situation that may crop up.

And just in case anyone has any preconceived notions, I know exactly who I am and should be- I am a very important woman in my step-kids lives, but I am not their mother, nor am I trying to be.

CJane

What is the name of your state?
Oregon

Is a step-parent a legal guardian?
No.

You should not be signing ANYTHING that requests a PARENT or GUARDIAN's signature. And unless you have a Power of Attorney granting you the right to seek medical care on Dad's behalf (and only on Dad's days) you should not be taking the children to the doctor, nor should the doctor be allowing you to make ANY medical decisions.

seniorjudge

No.

You should not be signing ANYTHING that requests a PARENT or GUARDIAN's signature. And unless you have a Power of Attorney granting you the right to seek medical care on Dad's behalf (and only on Dad's days) you should not be taking the children to the doctor, nor should the doctor be allowing you to make ANY medical decisions.

I agree.

(Psst...CJane: MIZZOURAH!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">