• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proud_parent

I don't get where this case relates to the issue at hand. In the article, the author was stating that a parent with sole custody, can appoint a temporary guardian to act concurrently with the parent, but that the duration of the temporary guardianship could only be for nine months. What you cited seems to refer to a court's ability to appoint a temporary guardian.
I didn't mean to suggest that the particulars of this case are relevant to the current discussion. This case does, however, reference a possible statutory basis for "that whole 'temporary guardianship' bit", specifically the "wierd" (sic) nine months part...

Kalina78

Again, I thank you for reading my post and answering it. It was asked why my husband recieved the role of sole decision-maker in regards to the boys, and all I will say it is a very sad situation all around. In the order the Magistrate made a statement about his findings for the best interest and for the safety of the minor children.

I need clarification of my legal role because we are a family - I'm never called mom, but even the boys call us a family. I don't want to do anything that would hurt our family.

I never sign any papers in the role as legal guardian. We make it very clear to everyone that I am the stepparent. And so far I have been allowed to participate in all activities with the boys. I just want to know I have the right to be the one to protect the children when their father is at work. The mother, who lives 25-miles away, won't answer calls from me. We've had an emergency situation once before where I tried to contact her and was unable because she would just hang up w/o letting me even leave a message. This is why my husband has put me in the role that I am currently. If that role needs to change to protect our family, I'll stepback, do whatever needs to be done.

milspecgirl

if there is a true emergency, the school, dr, etc can contact mom- it should not be you contacting her. I doubt she will hang up on them and in a medical emergency- they would be required to provide certain care until dad could be reached
Most places will let you participate at dad's request UNLESS mom disapproves. At that point, it can get very tricky as moms wishes will always take priority over yours

Kalina78

The mother didn't answer the phone from others, such as my husband's mom, calling her during the emergency situation I spoke about. I was with the children by myself. I called my husband first, then their mom, then their grandma to have her call their mom while I tended to the wound which I thought needed stitches and a trip to the ER. In the end, I didn't need to take the child to the ER, because I was able to take care of the wound by talking to a nurse on the nurseline. My husband then took the child to see his pediatrician the next day.

And I'm honestly not sure if she'd answer any calls from the school. Last year she refused to give the school her number, but my husband had listed it on the emergency contact list not knowing she didn't want the school to have the number. The school called her twice, but she didn't answer either call, instead she called my husband to share her anger that the school had her number. (my husband found out her refusal about the number was from the fact that she doesn't/didn't pay for her phone and her mother who was paying for it didn't want anyone but my husband and her employer to have the number.) There are reasons the magistrate ordered the way he did in this case by limiting the mother's time and role with the children.

I understand though that it shouldn't be me to call her in situations like the one before, but I will always take care of the children if I am the only responsible adult supervising them.

milspecgirl

place yourself in the role of babysitter. Any babysitter would have done the same thing as you if not able to get in touch with a parent.
If you mind your place and see yourself as a babysitter- albeit one who loves the children and cares for them, you will be fine

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">