• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parenting and spanking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithandjustice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Can anyone confirm that step-parents have no right to touch the children as far as spankings?

mommyof4

Can anyone confirm that step-parents have no right to touch the children as far as spankings?
Nope, not in the general manner you are asking. I can give you my personal opinion, but that doesn't make it a legal reality.

Do you have a 'no corporal punishment' clause in your custody order?

FlyingRon

I guarantee you no. I have done everything with my wife's kids from discipline to signing for their learner's permits to taking them to court on criminal charges. The law doesn't place step parents at much of a disadvantage from the parents when acting in loco parentis.

AkersTile

I guarantee you no. I have done everything with my wife's kids from discipline to signing for their learner's permits to taking them to court on criminal charges. The law doesn't place step parents at much of a disadvantage from the parents when acting in loco parentis.
100% completely wrong! Stepparents are LEGAL STRANGERS! Everything you mentioned that you did for your SKs is overstepping. Stepparents have no rights to the kids decision making or otherwise... with the exception of having a POA in which case they can take kiddo's to dr, etc. but PARENTS still make all decisions.

OP~
Unless it states in your CO no corporal punishment, there's probably not much you can do. You can speak with Dad about it and probably even get a modification to your CO stating it, but until that's done, you're stuck.

florida.native

I never really did but her x did go to court and ask that i did not do it after he found out we got married and they did not get on me about it but ask that i left it up to the mother. So it was a court order

haiku

On what planet should anyone be allowing a non parent to PHYSICALLY discipline thier child? It is one of the most unneccesary things ever.

momofrose

Wait - it's a court order and you are asking if you have a right to spank a step-child? You shouldn't NEED a courtorder to tell you you absolutely have MO RIGHT whatsoever. I'll add - HOW DARE YOU!!!

Last edited:

mommyof4

Wait - it's a court order and you are asking if you have a right to spank a step-child? You shouldn't NEED a courtorder to tell you you absolutely have MO RIGHT whatsoever. I'll add - HOW DARE YOU!!!
Momofrose....

2 different posters, unless those two posters are actually one and the same.

OP (faithandjustice) never answered the question of whether or not there was a clause in the court order addressing corporal punishment. In fact, OP hasn't been back to this thread.

florida.native, however, decided to chime in.

Rushia

Ditto! Do not spank anyone else's kids... even if they live in your house. That is a right reserved for Parents of the kiddos only.
I dunno. My ex and I have given both of our spouses permission to give the kids a swat on the fanny if they need it. Let me clarify that I gave the stepmom permission and ex gave my hubby permission. My ex and I are also very aware that the steps love the children very much and would never hurt them, EVER. Stepmom also has my and hubby's permission to swat the fanny of our child should the need arise. I have the same permission on her child.

I really think it boils down to the parents decision and if they both agree. But we all know in the real world that it really won't work that way and that my family is weird.

AkersTile

I dunno. My ex and I have given both of our spouses permission to give the kids a swat on the fanny if they need it. Let me clarify that I gave the stepmom permission and ex gave my hubby permission. My ex and I are also very aware that the steps love the children very much and would never hurt them, EVER. Stepmom also has my and hubby's permission to swat the fanny of our child should the need arise. I have the same permission on her child.

I really think it boils down to the parents decision and if they both agree. But we all know in the real world that it really won't work that way and that my family is weird.
Bolded is definitely true. Although you are now the 2nd person I know that has a weird everybody gets along family.

Rushia

Bolded is definitely true. Although you are now the 2nd person I know that has a weird everybody gets along family.
Frankly, even if we didn't and if stepmom wasn't my best friend? I still don't get this angle. Who cares if a step pops a child on the fanny? Really? Unless that person is beating the snot out of the child, of course, that would be different. It's just one more way of nitpicking at the other parent. I expect my children to respect their father and stepmother even if I don't agree with any of their rules (which off of the top of my head, can't think of anything major), and if they can't abide by the rules, then they suffer the consequences of that action.

You shoulda seen the kids tattling the first time stepmom put them in the corner! LOL! They acted like it was the end of the world and I was supposed to do something about it. My children have learned early and quick that I will NOT interfere and until they show up broken and bloody. Too bad for them.

momofrose

Frankly, even if we didn't and if stepmom wasn't my best friend? I still don't get this angle. Who cares if a step pops a child on the fanny? Really? .
I would care - no question. - There are some parents who do ot believe in spankig or "popping" and no legal stranger should have that right especially when a parent doesd not agree with that type of "discipline".

It is not nitpicking.

"D"

Isis1

Frankly, even if we didn't and if stepmom wasn't my best friend? I still don't get this angle. Who cares if a step pops a child on the fanny? Really? Unless that person is beating the snot out of the child, of course, that would be different. It's just one more way of nitpicking at the other parent. I expect my children to respect their father and stepmother even if I don't agree with any of their rules (which off of the top of my head, can't think of anything major), and if they can't abide by the rules, then they suffer the consequences of that action.

You shoulda seen the kids tattling the first time stepmom put them in the corner! LOL! They acted like it was the end of the world and I was supposed to do something about it. My children have learned early and quick that I will NOT interfere and until they show up broken and bloody. Too bad for them.
again....i think it's family dynamics. you don't have your head up your rear. and apparently the only one in the family that does....is your ex mom-in-law.

if my husband laid a hand on my child in any manner that was not playful.....someone call the coroner to pick up the dead body off my floor. i am a strict no hands on punishment household. that includes the two children we have together.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">