• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parents rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knudsonrl

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

Has anyone ever dealt with the court system granting any sort of rights to a step-parent in the event of something happening to the custodial parent? I would like to try to establish something in my will (???) or some other court order that would give my husband, my children's step-dad, at least visitation rights to the children in case anything would ever happen to me. I have joint custody with my ex-husband, who would bitterly dispute this. Any thoughts or advice??

Q

qtpie

In the event of your untimely passing, your ex-husband would determine who would be granted visitation--if anyone. Even if you put something in your will, your ex-husband would not have to abide by your wishes.

Step-parents have no legal RIGHTS or obligations to their step-children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">