• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parents Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alex9

My ex and I went through several years gaining custody of his child. After we obtained full custody he ended the marriage. What rights do I have as a step-parent and can I obtain visitation or possible custody if I can provide evidence that he is in a unstable enviroment? Seeking in Arizona.

[Edited by Alex9 on 02-07-2001 at 09:50 AM]

H

Howto?

My knowlege is no step parents have no legal rights to crap unless you can prove to a judge that it would be in the best interest of the child to have visitation with you and that is very very hard to do as a step parent.

Ambr

What rights can you have as a STEP-PARENT to a child that is not even yours???? NONE

It is very rare that a judge would order you some form of a visitation to a child that is not biologically yours. You may have helped raise the child and you may be very attached to the child, but you have no rights to the child.

Your only hope would be that the parents are willing to allow you a form of visitation. Which, if you assisted the father in removing the child from the mother - she will probably be upset about that and not agree. If the father is divorcing you - odds are that he will not agree either.

It's almost a no win situation, which is sad for you and also for the child (especially if you were the primary care giver during your marriage to the child's father).

Sorry if this post seems bleak, but STEP-Parent rights are almost non-existent.

Ambr

MySonsMom

Alex9 said:
My ex and I went through several years gaining custody of his child. After we obtained full custody he ended the marriage. What rights do I have as a step-parent and can I obtain visitation or possible custody if I can provide evidence that he is in a unstable enviroment? Seeking in Arizona.

[Edited by Alex9 on 02-07-2001 at 09:50 AM]
Arizona does recognise third party visitation for step parents. So you could try and seek visitation of the child(ren). Custody, probably not. But you may be able to get 3rd party visitation...That is if you have time, money and energy to fight for it.

Good luck!

LegalBeagle

Our poster has no chance at visitation as the child was not living with her. The moment the child moved into the home, the husband ended the marriage. Also, it would be hard in court to state how awful the situation is for the child when she has just backed him during several years of a custody battle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">