• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepchild Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AH1312

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My daughter is 2 years old, about a year ago I had her last named changed to my name, her bio father and I were never married but I agreed to give her his last name if he supported her and visited with her, He ended up leaving and it took me a long time to find him. I had to petition the court for a name change and I did the notice of publication and in Jan. of 2005 I got the court order back with her name changed, as I understand it this took away his parental rights.
I am getting married in June 2006 and my finacee asked me about adopting my daughter once we are married. We both want this and I feel she does as well since that is her daddy. How do I go about doing that? Can I just draw the papers up myself and pay filing fees? Do I need to hire a lawyer? What is the next step for me?

Thanks to whomever can help!

BelizeBreeze

AH1312 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My daughter is 2 years old, about a year ago I had her last named changed to my name, her bio father and I were never married but I agreed to give her his last name if he supported her and visited with her, He ended up leaving and it took me a long time to find him. I had to petition the court for a name change and I did the notice of publication and in Jan. of 2005 I got the court order back with her name changed, as I understand it this took away his parental rights.
You understand wrong
I am getting married in June 2006 and my finacee asked me about adopting my daughter once we are married. We both want this and I feel she does as well since that is her daddy. How do I go about doing that? Can I just draw the papers up myself and pay filing fees? Do I need to hire a lawyer? What is the next step for me?

Thanks to whomever can help!
to have the bio-father's rights terminated which, based solely on your post, will not happen

G

geminidude

adoption isnt going to happen

unless there was an adoption, changing the child's last name doesnt terminate the op's rights. was there ever a co for cs or visitation? if so, why havent you gone to court to enforce it, if not, dad isnt obligated to pay you anything. was paternity ever established? untill it is, he has no rights, and no obligation towards supporting your daughter. as for your fiance adopting your daughter, you will have to be married at least a year before that can happen.no court will let a stepparent adopt when the couple is newly married, they want to make sure the relationship is stable, therfore, most states require them to be married at least a year. and if i were you, id have your daughter call your fiance something else besides "daddy", if the bio father ever steps up to the plate, he might take issues to his daughter calling someone who is not legally or biologically related to her "daddy" , and if goes before a judge, the judge wont be amused by it either. as much as your daughter and your fiance love each other, he is NOT her daddy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">