• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brbeck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, I have a question on step-parents... My husband is currently in jail.. but when he gets out he wants to go for custody of his daughter and I want to adopt her... Right now she lives with her grandparents because her mother is addicted to meth... I believe her grandparents are her legal guardians.. I know that her mother is going to try to fight me on this...

Do you think that I will be able to adopt her and have legal rights??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Hello, I have a question on step-parents... My husband is currently in jail.. but when he gets out he wants to go for custody of his daughter and I want to adopt her... Right now she lives with her grandparents because her mother is addicted to meth... I believe her grandparents are her legal guardians.. I know that her mother is going to try to fight me on this...

Do you think that I will be able to adopt her and have legal rights??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What makes dad think he has a shot at custody or anything else?

(Serious question - no snark)

LdiJ

First, there is no guarantee at all that your husband will even get custody. There is no guarantee that he won't either, but no guarantee that he will.

On top of that, you are NOT going to be able to adopt the child if the child's mother objects. It just doesn't work that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">