+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Shelly1308 Guest

    Still married, technically - can I leave the State with my children?

    What is the name of your state? Florida

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    You need way more background info than what was posted.

    Can you leave to shop at the Mall of America for the day, or can you leave, meaning relocate?

    Are any temporary custody/visitation orders in place?

    If you are speaking of relocating out of state, you will not be able to file for divorce/custody in your new state until you establish legal residency there under that state's laws.

    Last edited by nextwife; 07-06-2004 at 09:55 AM.
  3. #3
    Shelly1308 Guest
    I am still married and considering move to home state. We are not even legally separated. The only papers I have for custody is what is on a restraining order. I will file for divorce in the new state when my residency is established. Can I leave Florida with my children?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    You should expect that your husband will file for divorce and custody in FL as soon as you leave. Probably also an emergency temporary order requiring you to bring the kids back immediately. Sort the divorce out first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Stealth is right. Do you really believe your husband will sit on his hands for months while you establish legal residency somewhere else, and allow THAT state to have jurisdiction? He'll file in FL before that happens, and, if so, and as long as he is there, FL will retain jurisdiction.

  6. #6
    adonahee Guest

    Agree with above! Get divorced!

    There was a story posted not long ago from a woman who fled the state with her child to escape abuse. Her ex filed for custody in the state they fled from, found her, took the child (with police help since he had custody papers), and now SHE hasn't seen the child because there was no visitation agreement. Think about it! Don't jump the gun - Get your situation in order first.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Can I leave State with my children?
    By WantsToBeMommy in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM
  2. not married -with children, want to leave him
    By Lauracet in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 04:29 PM
  3. can i leave the state with my children?
    By justwantaway in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:56 PM
  4. I'm Pregnant, not married and I want to leave the state
    By sherin0426 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 12:04 PM
    By HONEYEYES00 in forum Family Law Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2000, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.