• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supervised visits....who are they for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jacked

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Here's my story. My ex girlfriend and I broke 3 years ago and we had son together. She got an attorney right away and they drew up papers saying I could only have "supervised visits" with my son at their house. I thought I couldn't do anything about it because I had no attorney to fight it, so I just went along with it. I don't know why they have to be "supervised"? I have been convicted of a felony assault, but it was a street fight type of thing.

I have never endangered my son ever and I would never put him in a bad situation. I have been abiding by these "supervised" visits since 2001 and my ex will not give in at all. Since 01, I have not been able to take my son anywhere by myself. I even gave my son a life saving kidney two years ago because he needed a transplant.

My ex is using my son like he is her possession and she doesn't realize that he needs his father in his life. I don't have money for an attorney as I am attending college, but I desperately want to be in my sons life. I haven't seen him in 5 months because I can no longer go to my ex's house where she lives with her parent' (my sons grandparents) because her mom constantly harasses me like asking how much my rent is, do I have a girlfriend, do I have new pants, etc. and I cant stand it!!!

What can I do? I thought people who had supervised visits were un-fit parents like druggies and what not. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

tigger22472

You have supervised visitation because you agreed to it... plain and simple. THe only way to end that is to have another court order... HOWEVER, the fact that you haven't tried to utilize your visitation or file contempt on the mom for 5 months may not work a lot in your favor. You're only choice is to contact a family law attorney for a consultation and go from there.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You don't understand why you have "supervised visitation"?

Hello!! Knock, knock!

It's called, "felony assault" - - it wasn't "misdemeanor assault" - - it was a FELONY, you fricken idiot!

That's means you were using a weapon, and using it to cause the death of someone else; e.g., a gun, knife, or baseball bat.

You attempted to minimize it by saying, "it was a street fight type of thing." Well, it may have occurred "in the street", but you had some serious intentions going on . . . Like you were out to kill someone.

That's why you're on "supervised visitation", and that's why you'll STAY on supervised visitation. It was a FELONY. Get that through your idiot head. If you have that type of predilection, then you're a potential danger to your child. There is no attorney that can help you with that.

IAAL

J

jacked

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE,

You mean to tell me that anyone with a felony assault has to be supervised when being around their children? This crime happened a long time ago and I've paid my debt to society.

You can't honestly tell me that everybody with a felony conviction has supervised visits with their children.

The reason I stated it was a street fight type was just to clarify that it had nothing to do with my son or child abuse.

You said, "It was a felony. Get that through your idiot head", then you go on to say I'm a potential danger to my child. If that was the case then why when I got sentenced why did the judge continue to let me live with my son?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jacked said:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE,

You mean to tell me that anyone with a felony assault has to be supervised when being around their children? This crime happened a long time ago and I've paid my debt to society.

You can't honestly tell me that everybody with a felony conviction has supervised visits with their children.

The reason I stated it was a street fight type was just to clarify that it had nothing to do with my son or child abuse.

You said, "It was a felony. Get that through your idiot head", then you go on to say I'm a potential danger to my child. If that was the case then why when I got sentenced why did the judge continue to let me live with my son?

My response:

Because the criminal judge has no jurisdiction to make orders concerning your son. That's for the jurisdiction of a Family Law judge, which is what happened to you.

You have the predilection for serious anger, and apparently, you have no qualms about using weapons. That's why you're a potential danger to your son, and the Family Law judge isn't going to take any chances with you. It's better to err on the side of safety.

You're a felon. You will always BE a felon. Your "debt to society" will NEVER be paid off. That's why people have "records". As long as you have this "record", this is how you will be judged by society, and any further criminal activities you get involved in. That's why we have the "Three Strikes" law.

You will always be on supervised visitation. Get used to it.

IAAL

J

jacked

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE~

So basically your advice to me is not to bother trying to get unsupervised visits because you believe no judge would ever grant me that because I have a felony on my record? I should just give up? Would you just give up?

tigger22472

To be honest... based on your other post this isn't the time to try even. You have all that to deal with and a domestic violance report that is recent isnt' going to attest to your anger management.

J

jacked

Thanx Tigger,

My roommate and I just logged on together under the same screen name. Those are his issues and these are mine ;) Nice observation though!

tater_tot

Good Luck Jacked

First Jacked I would like to ask the court order with supervised visitation was that an agreed order or was it something where you had to go through a trial and let a judge decide? Because if it is an agreed order then basically you're case has never been tried in front of a judge (now yes a agreed order is as legal and binding as a order that is ordered by the judge after a trial). Second as far as affording a lawyer you said you are a college student, you might check into legal aid. Third have you had any kind of criminal record since the "Street fight"? Next, it will hurt you that you haven't been exercising your rights for awhile now, but during this time have you made phone calls, sent notes, letters, cards, gifts and that kind of thing to your child? If not and if you can't get legal help then you are pretty much screwed, but one option would also be to try to get your supervised visits somewhere other than with the mother and her parents, if you're going to have to have supervised visits anyway. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">