• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support Collection Agency Wrongful Action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joebd

I am in Maryland.

A few years ago, my child's mother retained a collection agency to pursue payment of child support. This was during a period of extended unemployment for me. Since last year, I have regained employment and have been paying the mother directly, including amount toward arrearages accrued during my unemployed time.

I received a written notice from the agency two weeks ago declaring their intention to pursue collection of arrearages and support.

The agency this week has placed a lien on my bank account, effectively freezing my access to my funds. This will cause my latest support check to not be honored, in addition to my other bills. They have admitted that they are working "an old case" and in fact had to ask me for current contact information for the other parent; their client.

Is this legal? They have admitted uncertainty as to the legality of their actions, but I know rules vary widely from state to state. I have shown them my evidence of payment to the client parent (court orders and canceled checks). They say they need to be released from collection by the client parent, but apparently haven't been able to contact her. How can I get them to release my account? Any sources for legal representation in Maryland?

Thank you very much for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">