• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support past paid on a found runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boredone

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? AZ
My questions are how do I reclaim back child support that was
paid during a year and a half that my child was reported
as a runaway? My ex claims to my child that I haven't paid for anything. Is there a statute of limitations regarding
how long from her return or leaving my ex's home for me
to make a claim? The money was paid thru the courts to
my ex. I am current on payments. Can I do this through
small claims? Is it easy enough for me to go pro per? Is there any other information that I can give here to simplify responses?
Happy to oblige....and thank you for any help you can give.;)

CMSC

okay, I am confused??! Did your child run away and then returned to your ex and you want the child support money you paid during that time she was gone? If you did not want to pay it you should have had it modified when the child ran away. How old is this child? How long was she gone? Why is support such a big issue, I would think that a run away child would be a bigger issue???

A

ASB89107

I don't think that is what this person is trying to say,
I'm sure this person was worried about the missing child, but i think what they are trying to say is that since the child was not in the other parents home, the person who was suppossed to receive the child support was not receiving it. The child is the one who receives the support from the other parent. Not the parent.

You might to check the courts who handle your child support case, if not contact the district attorney. I am sure you were worried about the child while they were missing, apparently there are some issues that need to be brought up if the child is running away. You should address these issues with the courts and with the child!! Good luck. :)

ellencee

it is the parent that recieves the support, not the child. the child was a runaway and I assume no one knew when or if the child would return. there may be no cause for any repayment of support or any modification during this time. the custodial parent still had the same place of residence, still had the responsiblilty to provide home, transportation, and all the other stuff. even when primary or residential custody changes from one parent to the other, there is often no cause for a change in support.

So, in my opinion, this person needs some laws from Arizona, or some statutes, or some actual legal grounds to seek a change in support, retroactively. I don't know that it can be done.

I also don't remember if there is an attorney from AZ on this forum, but IAAL may have an answer for this person. I suggest that the original poster 'repost' and ask for an attorney's opinion, especially that of IAAL or another family attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">