• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support for unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Grandmama

Good Morning!!
The question I have is concerning my son. He had a live-in girlfriend in VA from February until June. She has a 17-month old baby by first husband and is now pregnant with my grandchild. She has moved out and is living with her aunt in Maryland. The question I have is concerning support of the unborn child. What are my son's responsilities as far as support before the baby is born? The baby is due in November. My son completely supported this girl and her child for over one year. She never made any attempt to work and get any assistance for her or her child. She said she would not accept any support from her child's father because she did not want for him to ever see his child.
The mother did not leave on good terms. She has called and tried to talk with my son, but he and I feel that it is not a good idea. She has been convicted of domestic abuse of my son and that is the reason we feel that they should not communicate at this point. She has been ordered by the court to attend anger management classes. She will not talk with me although I have told her I would be glad to help any way I could.

We do want to know what is going on with this child and would like to start the process early to make sure we do everything we can for this baby. My son has already talked with his employer concerning adding the child to his insurance as soon as he/she is born.

Any advice you can give me in this situation will be gratefully appreciated.

Have a Wonderful 4th of July!!!

MySonsMom

Until that child is born, your son has no rights or obligations to the unborn child. (other than what he generously wants to give himself)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">