• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspected drug use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

parkequus

What is the name of your state?Florida

I suspect my ex is using drugs but have no proof. I have full physical and legal custody which he never contested. He is now saying he wants partial custody because he doesn't agree with my safety rules (he wants to drive my 8 year old around the state on his Harley). I have always been extremely liberal and generous with visitation. I took full custody because I was worried he would begin using again.

Now that I think he is, and he's threatening to seek partial custody, is there a legal way to require him to submit to a drug test?

snostar

Only if a judge orders it, and without proof it is highly unlikely. Has he been convicted of a crime related to drugs or admitted in court to drug use or required treatment?

parkequus

snostar said:
Only if a judge orders it, and without proof it is highly unlikely. Has he been convicted of a crime related to drugs or admitted in court to drug use or required treatment?
He has Hepatitis C from intravenous drug use, but has not had treatment for drug abuse. He has had treatment for the Hepatitis C.

MinCA

First off, Harleys are NOT dangerous for children. I was raised on one, my brother was raised on one, so many of our friends were.... Riding in a car can be even more dangerous. Now you wouldn't put a baby on one, but eight is old enough with a sissy bar.

While he has the child, he is allowed to make rules. Why should he be bound by your rules when he has the child? Same as asking why you should be bound by his rules when you have the child.

Now, how long ago was the IV drug use, and is that fact, or your pressumption of how he got the hepatitis? What makes you think he's using now?

parkequus

MinCA said:
First off, Harleys are NOT dangerous for children. I was raised on one, my brother was raised on one, so many of our friends were.... Riding in a car can be even more dangerous. Now you wouldn't put a baby on one, but eight is old enough with a sissy bar.

While he has the child, he is allowed to make rules. Why should he be bound by your rules when he has the child? Same as asking why you should be bound by his rules when you have the child.

Now, how long ago was the IV drug use, and is that fact, or your pressumption of how he got the hepatitis? What makes you think he's using now?
I know how he got the Hepatitis because I watched him do IV drugs and begged and pleaded with him to stop for the sake of his children. I've known the man for 23 years, so please give me a break on my "presumptions."

He "should be bound" by my rules when he has the child because that is the ruling of the judge in our divorce.

Do you have anything constructive to offer to my case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">